Historical savings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If you want to visit Milliways, the exorbitantly expensive restaurant at the end of the universe, it's suggested that you deposit one penny in a high interest account in your own time so billions of years later, due to compound interest, the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for on your arrival (it does need a time machine though):okay:. Futurama has also used this gag.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you can pop into the branch with your grandparents as witnesses they'll be pleased to update your passbook.
Location in 1976, under it's own name.

Taken over by Trustees Savings Bank, later the TSB.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Taken over by Trustees Savings Bank, later the TSB.
Nice bit of spade work, @classic33 :okay:.
I might just take that book into the TSB and see what they say. After all, someone, and I have absolutely no idea who (and no surviving relatives from the generation who might have known), went to the trouble of gifting me £1 back in 1968. Probably with the intention that I would add to it over the years (oops). So it would be nice to actually spend whatever I get on something, even if only a lunch or whatever.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice bit of spade work, @classic33 :okay:.
I might just take that book into the TSB and see what they say. After all, someone, and I have absolutely no idea who (and no surviving relatives from the generation who might have known), went to the trouble of gifting me £1 back in 1968. Probably with the intention that I would add to it over the years (oops). So it would be nice to actually spend whatever I get on something, even if only a lunch or whatever.
Went with the Bute Savings Bank and this
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/a00632e8-8a90-3b39-b4a3-96ea8540cfa4
came up. Bute Savings Bank is mentioned early in the list of corporate names.

Thought it looked like a TSB bank book.

Top Bottom