Hit-and-run cyclist badly injures girl, 9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The moral in my opinion outweighs the legal neccessity to stop and see if a person in an accident is injured or needs care

It is a shame that a number of motorists fail to act like this. Think of the instances on this forum where threads appear of a cyclist down and the motorist failing to stop.
I can also think of stories that I hear on the local cycling grapevine where I live of motorists failing to stop, when they must know that they have clipped someone.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Red tops have got the story. The tar boiler is being fired up and every nobber on the roads will be getting their brush ready.

It is a shame that a number of motorists fail to act like this. Think of the instances on this forum where threads appear of a cyclist down and the motorist failing to stop.
I can also think of stories that I hear on the local cycling grapevine where I live of motorists failing to stop, when they must know that they have clipped someone.

I deliberately avoided saying cyclist or motorist, pedestrian, sailor, pilot, or any other group

The moral imperative to stop and help someone who is injured is unequivocal and totally independent of what mode of transport you use

If you have caused the injury then the responsibility to help is even greater

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mechanically can apply to bicycles, yes. If its specific to motorists it will say "motorised" in the legal definition instead.

Can't find a definitive answer, but an "electrically assisted pedal cycle" is specifically excluded from being a mechanically propelled vehicle, so presumably a normal pedal cycle would be too (Road Traffic Act 1988)....

189 Certain vehicles not to be treated as motor vehicles.(1)For the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts—
(a)a mechanically propelled vehicle being an implement for cutting grass which is controlled by a pedestrian and is not capable of being used or adapted for any other purpose,
(b)any other mechanically propelled vehicle controlled by a pedestrian which may be specified by regulations made by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this section and section 140 of the M1Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and
(c)an electrically assisted pedal cycle of such a class as may be prescribed by regulations so made,
is to be treated as not being a motor vehicle.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
This happened around the area where I live and there some real idiots riding along the promenade. I'm not surprised there have not been more incidents like this. I have talked to other cyclists like me and they also feel the police should patrol the area better but the problem is that is a long area, 8 miles. My main worry is the crowded areas. A week or so ago the promenade was so busy that it was impossible to ride in a straight line and yet this idiot was doing probably 4 or 5 times the speed I was riding at. His bike handling skills were amazing but I wouldn't take the risk even if my bike handling skills were as good.

Top Bottom