hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Bloody hell. You have had no luck with motorists in recent years. Rest up and I hope they catch the bar stewards.

Yep it does seem that way. I have an immediate problem of being bike less, the Brompton is ill and I am not riding my road bike with a sizeable rucksack on my back. Maybe it is time to go back to just cycling the GBW as the roads round my way are simply too dangerous. This is the 3rd time I have been knocked down in Cambridgeshire. If I continue, being dead will be a distinct possibility and really rather inconvenient. It was a miracle I cheated death and serious injury this evening. Take care Fossyant.

classic33

Leg End Member
I take it you're writing down what happenned, whilst arrainging a lift to the A&E!!

Yep it does seem that way. I have an immediate problem of being bike less, the Brompton is ill and I am not riding my road bike with a sizeable rucksack on my back. Maybe it is time to go back to just cycling the GBW as the roads round my way are simply too dangerous. This is the 3rd time I have been knocked down in Cambridgeshire. If I continue, being dead will be a distinct possibility and really rather inconvenient. It was a miracle I cheated death and serious injury this evening. Take care Fossyant.
:hugs:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Really bad news but glad you're in one piece. Expect to wake up feeling really down and stiff but don't worry about it, just take it as a reaction and get thissen to a doctor. But if you feel really bad physically, get thee to an A&E.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well if you're not going to even consider going to an A&E, consider staying awake tonight. In all seriousness.
If you, on your bike have inflicted damage or think you've inflicted damage on the vehicle that hit you. Consider what it may have done to you? Not everything is visible and slight swelling now may be hiding something more serious that cannot be recified easily at a later date.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
I take it you're writing down what happenned, whilst arrainging a lift to the A&E!!

No I'll take a few paracetamol to ease the pain and hopefully help me drift off to sleep then ring up my GP surgery in the morning to arrange an appoinkment. Although I won't be able to prevent the car crashing into me in my dreams. The nightmare will begin tomorrow when I thoroughly inspect my bike :cry:.

classic33

Leg End Member
Report it & get yourself checked
Get a written record down on paper. At this stage its not important if you're the only one who can understand what you are writing. You'll put it all down later, when you're certain you have everything there.
I had L/R/Slowup-Down/Him/Me? on the original. Put into words what that meant at when putting everything in order for my working copy.
"Working copy" by the way is my way of saying, once you're happy that you have everything down & in the correct order, you print a copy off, dated of course, and work from that. It makes it easier for you, as you then are telling the same, to everyone. This “Working Copy” will be in order of occurrence. Who did what, where & when.

Include the time of the incident, the time you called the police & on what number. If possible the name of the person you spoke to. Not always forthcoming with this bit of information. Put all this at the top of your working copy. Makes it easier find in a hurry.
What were the road/traffic conditions like. Direction of travel & intended direction of travel & direction actually taken.
Get the collision log number created by the police, this will be its own seperate number. Include this number if given on your working copy. Only found out about that over 6 months later. No collision log created, therefore no collision. Despite the police attending a 999 call.

Photocopy/scan all receipts. Ink fades & the thermal printed ones can blacken in minutes.

You have a witness who chased after her. Did you get their name, or even car registration? If so see if they’ll be willing to put onto paper their actions.

Seek qualified legal advice, used to working for cyclists. I learnt that bit the hard way. I used RJW through the CTC.Have you tried checking the vehicle registration & tax/VED details?https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s1

You might want to keep a written log. What you did, who phoned who, when, what number was used especially if they contact you, leaving a number. Who you spoke to. Try and get names if possible. What were road & weather conditions like. Were lights fitted & in use at the time. Some people ride with their rear light on at all times so it’s not as odd as it sounds.
I was a hell of a lot more clinical factwise than Schneil. Would you be able to give a closing speed for the pair of you before the impact & at the time of impact? I don't drive, but impact speed in my case I put at less than the driver. Less than 10mph, low speed impact.

Don't ride the bike again until you get it checked. Insurance may require that the bike be checked for damage that was only caused in the incident. Also riding the same bike may have them saying there can't have been anything wrong, you're exaggerating your claim. I'd had that said to me & being able to say that it was still at the LBS awaiting collection, kinda knocked some of the wind out of their sails.

See if there is any CCTV footage for the area in which it took place. Easy way of doing it is to go back & look for any cameras. Council has to keep a record of the owner & operators of these camera's. Same contact details should also be visible on the camera itself.

Photograph the damage, using a tape measure to which you have taped a small object, whose size cannot be denied. That last part I found out 3 years into mine.

Keep a record of any injuries to yourself. Assuming you've been & got yourself checked over. Same as for the bike, any damage, photograph it. Bear in mind bruising can take time to fully "bloom".

Stick to your guns & don't be put off if the driver does change their story, more than once.

No I'll take a few paracetamol to ease the pain and hopefully help me drift off to sleep then ring up my GP surgery in the morning to arrange an appoinkment. Although I won't be able to prevent the car crashing into me in my dreams. The nightmare will begin tomorrow when I thoroughly inspect my bike :cry:.
If you've got a headache or feel sick, go to A&E, don't go to sleep. Classic33 has a point..... things aren't always immediately apparent - if you have concussion and don't realise - well, people don't always wake up once they've gone to sleep.... sorry, not trying to make things worse, but please be careful :sad:

simon.r

Person
The last time I was knocked off my bike (which was at about 5pm) I felt as you do now. At 6am, having not slept, I got a taxi to A and E. I was x-rayed, given a pair of crutches and some strong painkillers. I was also referred to physio.

Worth doing IMO.

Edit - on the positive side, I think 6am is a good time to visit A and E. The drunks have gone home and people aren't at work yet:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
The bike can be repaired/replaced a lot easier than you can. It requires no painkillers as it cannot feel pain. I would not even consider trying to go to sleep tonight.
Assuming you do get to see your GP in the morning, my money's on him sending you to the A&E to do what you should be doing now.

classic33

Leg End Member
YOU HAVE SPENT ALMOST FIVE HOURS SAT AT HOME, YET MOAN ABOUT SPENDING 4 IN AN A&E.
If you're correct with regards the speed at the time of impact, the distance travelled through the air by yourself & the damage done to both vehicles. What the bloody hell makes you think you're any different to anyone else on here.
The bike is a write off, its gone. Do you want to chance joining it? Use what sense God gave you and get yourself checked tonight. There might be one less poster on here tomorrow because he went to sleep & didn't wake up.

You came down on me recently, I'm now repaying you. Get yourself checked as soon as possible. If you have taken anything to relieve the pain that is a sign there is something hurting that you are aware off. What is that pain hiding/masking. Also anything taken to ease the pain will prolong your stay in A&E whilst they wait until its effects have worn off before treatment can begin. Don't be a bloody fool.

I've had enough head injuries to know what to look out for, for myself, and I'll have to say that at present the fact that you are hesitating over A&E may well be one of those signs, confusion.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Cripes, that's awful. I hope you are alright -I'd also second get yourself checked out (a bit late now, you're unlikely to be reading this at about 1:40am gmt).

Again, sorry, and hope you are alright.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think he'll be coming back to say how he is. Honest opinion given his version of events.
Flesh, blood & bones just like the rest of us.

Top Bottom