Hit and Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCh

Über Member
I was the victim of a hit and run in Southwark 3 weeks ago, riding along in a straight line in secondary position, doing about 20mph when wham! I was hit by a car turning left. They were on my outside, no indication, no evidence of braking, no discernible slight positional change in the car, which would normally/often see in a turning car and just turned straight in to me. I didn't have time to touch the brakes or swerve at all, I was just hit.

I went arcing up in the air and landed on the front of my head and left shoulder, probably looked a bit like a swallow dive!

I lay in the road, somewhat dazed and waiting to see if all my limbs were pointing in approximately the right direction when the car (which had stopped) decided that they would make a break for it and screeched off. As I lay on the road I read the reg plate as the car drove off.

People came to my aid, and I clambered to my feet, feeling relatively ok as andrenaline coursed through me. After a couple of minutes I started to feel pain (and blood running down my nose from a cut on the bridge). I was fairly bashed up from top to toe, with injuries from my head to my shin and pretty much everywhere on the way down, but both shoulders were the most painful, particularly my left. I went to a&e and had both shoulders x-rayed, fortunately neither was broken, but there was some bone displacement in my left, and potential ligament damage. I'm now awaiting the results of an MRI scan, so should know more in the coming days, but it is still very painful and restrictive.

have 4 witnesses to the incident, one of whom contacted the police that evening to give her statement. I have also given my statement to the police, but it seems so far, 3 weeks later, they have done pretty much nothing, despite me chasing them. This was a hit and run incident by someone who stopped, saw me lying motionless in the road and then drove off. Witnesses have said the same and the police have so far said that this is being treated as a road traffic incident, not a criminal investigation. I had a letter to say they were looking in to it and shouldn't contact them for 14 days whilst they did. Unbelievable! I can't understand why someone wasn't round to her house the night of the incident (they decided not to attend the scene when I called them).

Anyway, I guess my next steps are to try and pursue a civil claim, given my bike is damaged, my glasses broken and helmet destroyed. In the absence of any police help, I'm writing to the DVLA to find out the registered keeper. I will also need to keep on at the police as I really don't want to let this go, people shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

Main point of the post is just to ask for any advice from someone who has been through anything similar, either with pushing the police, or pursuing a civil claim.

Any help greatly appreciated!

gavintc

Guru
I was the victim of a hit and run in Southwark 3 weeks ago, riding along in a straight line in secondary position, doing about 20mph when wham! I was hit by a car turning left. They were on my outside, no indication, no evidence of braking, no discernible slight positional change in the car, which would normally/often see in a turning car and just turned straight in to me. I didn't have time to touch the brakes or swerve at all, I was just hit.

I went arcing up in the air and landed on the front of my head and left shoulder, probably looked a bit like a swallow dive!

I lay in the road, somewhat dazed and waiting to see if all my limbs were pointing in approximately the right direction when the car (which had stopped) decided that they would make a break for it and screeched off. As I lay on the road I read the reg plate as the car drove off.

People came to my aid, and I clambered to my feet, feeling relatively ok as andrenaline coursed through me. After a couple of minutes I started to feel pain (and blood running down my nose from a cut on the bridge). I was fairly bashed up from top to toe, with injuries from my head to my shin and pretty much everywhere on the way down, but both shoulders were the most painful, particularly my left. I went to a&e and had both shoulders x-rayed, fortunately neither was broken, but there was some bone displacement in my left, and potential ligament damage. I'm now awaiting the results of an MRI scan, so should know more in the coming days, but it is still very painful and restrictive.

have 4 witnesses to the incident, one of whom contacted the police that evening to give her statement. I have also given my statement to the police, but it seems so far, 3 weeks later, they have done pretty much nothing, despite me chasing them. This was a hit and run incident by someone who stopped, saw me lying motionless in the road and then drove off. Witnesses have said the same and the police have so far said that this is being treated as a road traffic incident, not a criminal investigation. I had a letter to say they were looking in to it and shouldn't contact them for 14 days whilst they did. Unbelievable! I can't understand why someone wasn't round to her house the night of the incident (they decided not to attend the scene when I called them).

Anyway, I guess my next steps are to try and pursue a civil claim, given my bike is damaged, my glasses broken and helmet destroyed. In the absence of any police help, I'm writing to the DVLA to find out the registered keeper. I will also need to keep on at the police as I really don't want to let this go, people shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

Main point of the post is just to ask for any advice from someone who has been through anything similar, either with pushing the police, or pursuing a civil claim.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Ignore the police. They have become a crime recording service. Do not expect justice, you will simply get angry and despondent.

You want compensation. Get a lawyer and start a civil action against the driver. You need to act soon to take this forward.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Correct. As did one of the witnesses (who happens to be a lawyer). In fact, she has taken more interest in what is going on than the old bill.

gavintc

Guru
It was a hit and run. That is a whole step up in criminality from the left hook.
Expecting the police to take crime seriously, especially for a cyclist, will simply give you ulcers. Move on - ignore them and take your actions.

vickster

Legendary Member
Contact LCC and whoever the cycling tsar is in the London Assembly

Was the driver insured? If not motor insurers bureau may be able to help as a lawyer will be unwilling as there's not much chance of them getting their fees

Good luck

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Thanks for all comments so far, very helpful.

I checked on MIB and the car is insured. Not sure whether the driver was, but I'll assume for now she is.

I'm a member of LCC, so will call them and take advice. I think they also have recommended lawyers. Will check out Slater and Gordon too.

I'll chase the police up again, as it is now 2 weeks since their snotty letter. I can't believe they wouldn't follow this sort of thing up. At the moment it is getting my goat and I can imagine I will get very frustrated if they continue not to take action. All witnesses said they were amazed I stood up from the crash and how lucky I was. Thank God for my helmet, saved me big time.

Thing is, if she had stopped, it would have been an accident, despite any negligence or carelessness on her part, these things can happen and she wouldn't have intended to do it, therefore, an accident. However, she saw what happened then left me in the road. If I'd croaked it she would be looking at a custodial sentence, but as I was only injured, they don't seem to be bothered.

Maybe I'm being unfair and they will come back to me saying that they are taking action....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You mention this was three weeks ago.

I think you need to get the claim, however you make it, under way sooner rather than later.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do have 3 years to make a PI claim and 6 years for damage to property but best to do while its fresh in your mind.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am so pleased I am no longer a police officer.

This is easy process work, the sort of thing you would give to a probationary constable starting out. You have the number, you have witnesses. A simple PNC check will reveal the owner.

I would go back to the police and insist on talking to a shift inspector. It is incomprehensible to me that they have done nothing about this.

Top Bottom