Hit and Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Jesus. I hope this gets sorted for you. I too am beginning to despair at the lenient treatment of motorists. I read earlier this week that the footballer Darron Gibson had received a community sentence after he drove his sportscar under the influence of alcohol, mounted the pavement, hit three cyclists, then drove off.

He should be breaking rocks for 5 years.

The police are more interested in what their ANPR and speed cameras are recording. Its all automated and so very little effort is required to generate police revenue.

gavintc

Guru
I don't know about you, but I would prefer it if people prepared to behave like this were not on our roads.
I completely agree. But having seen a friend becoming more and more unhappy and stressed through police inaction. My conclusion is to let the police do what they want and focus on civil action against the driver.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ouch , that is really nasty on all fronts.

By all means vigorously pursue a complaint to the Police, but for now focus on the civil claim would be my thoughts. With luck and witnesses her insurers will cave in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a police officer raising revenue was never mentioned to me and I doubt if any of the serving officers on here have ever heard of it either. It's another cyclechat myth.

I've spoken with a lot of police officers informally over many years and have never heard one speak of raising revenue.

Occasional complaints, or rather observations, about lack of resources, but the 'money in' side of things doesn't appear on a copper's radar.

Most, in my experience, couldn't tell you how their force is funded, let alone put any figures on it.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
I have now had a letter from the police, a witness form, asking for my details and a full description and drawing of the incident. This is basically all the information I have them 3 1/2 weeks ago. At least somebody is doing something, and I'm going that these forms are going out to ask the witnesses, although they only have phone or e mail records of the witnesses and they posted the form to me, so I'm not assuming anything. It is a standard form so could have gone out the day after it happened. I'll start to chase this properly now, it just isn't good enough.

Very frustrating!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I hope you can resolve this and also hope...for all our sakes...or faith...that the old bill pick it up properly.

This next bit doesn't relate to you directly, so don't take offence.

I believe that our "plight" is sometimes made worse by our own actions. So many riders shout "POLICE" over the slightest issue that the coppers are probably suffering a genuine form of complaint fatigue and try to avoid even entering the trees,let alone trying to spot the wood (that saying really doesn't work in reverse!).

Our blame and litigious culture is our downfall and when genuine issues occur, they are lost in the swampy soup of drivelling complaints.

Actually this extends beyond riding and is valid across all walks (or rides) of life.

Gws and good wishes in bringing the driver to task, they need to learn the correct lesson from this...so far they are in danger of learning and teaching a properly bad lesson.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
I think you are right Jonny, as a society we are far too litigious these days, and looking for an angle for complaint/claim when they need to take responsibility for their own actions.

In this case I believe the driver should be brought to task, but I have avoided pushing the police too hard so far, on the basis they have told me they are looking at it, but things that could and should have been done quickly haven't been.

I'm not very good at complaining either!

I don't really have time to become obsessed with this, but whenever I think about it it does annoy me that I'm left in limbo and the driver thinks she is in the clear - so far.

Will keep you posted....

Brains

Legendary Member
Allow the Police to proceed, however they will finally do nothing, so if you have not already done so, get the private prosecution underway

Some years ago i was also in a hit and run in a bus lane. Luckily a couple of black cabs saw what happened and boxed the car in.
We removed his keys, he was obviously drunk and also obviously blind in one eye, so I very much doubt he was insured
We called the Police, you would have thought an easy nick,
  • Attempted murder
  • Drink Driving
  • Driving in a bus lane
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Uninsured
  • No licence
need I go on......?

Answer the Question
A) Did the police attend and prosecute
B) Did the Police, after a number of calls over an hour and a half, eventually ask us to hand back the keys, and then send a standard letter saying there was no case to answer as I was not admitted to hospital

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Brains, you have got to be joking! I'm starting to think that nothing will happen unless I really kick up a drink and involve MPs, the mayor, and maybe the IPCC.

I've already started spending money as a result of my losses, and have ordered some new specs today, so I'm out of pocket by a few hundred quid now.

classic33

Leg End Member
Brains, you have got to be joking! I'm starting to think that nothing will happen unless I really kick up a drink and involve MPs, the mayor, and maybe the IPCC.

I've already started spending money as a result of my losses, and have ordered some new specs today, so I'm out of pocket by a few hundred quid now.
Keep your receipts, Scan em as soon as you're able. And be prepared to back up why you bought/replaced them where you did.

Top Bottom