Hit the wall yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's only so much you can do on the ride, preparation is the thing.

I did an audax a few weeks ago, after 8 weeks off the bike, and 24 hours after a 24 hour flight. In fact, the only reason I did the ride was jet lagged woke me at 4am. At 180km I bonked so badly that I was literally throwing up. There's no food or drink I could have had on the ride I to prevent that. The only thing would have been in the weeks preceding the ride.

Obviously your situation was not as clear cut as that, but bonking can be from pushing your body farther than it is ready to go, and not necessarily food on the ride.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Probably couldn't go any further as nothing left in the tank so went into limp home mode :smile: anyway whilst a bad experience I learned a limitation and if you don't push yourself you won't find your limits!

ayceejay

Guru
Using 40 miles as a bench mark is not very helpful or accurate in terms of energy spent as there are so many variables. The bonk can come on when least expected so it is best to be prepared for it. What the message says is "My brain is lacking oxygen" which is why you feel the way you do. Oxygen gets to the brain via your blood that needs glucose to transport it. Your body will convert whatever you eat into glucose over time but you don't have the time, so what do you do? Always carry glucose (Dextrosol etc) as a tablet or gel to get you thinking straight and eat some complex carbs half an hour later.

Last edited:

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Had a similar experience with a 40 miler a few years back, wasn't prepared and just bottomed out after 30 odd miles.
Wasn't prepared for it, seat was at wrong height as well which played a large part I feel!

Last year 60 miles, no problem, apart from cramp at 55 miles!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never pushed hard enough myself to truly bonk, I've had a drop in performance but never got to the stage when I couldn't push a pedal, balance, etc.
I have been unable to stay on the bike, unable to stand once I got off it, unable to work out how to get to the grass verge on the other side of the road to lie down, and unable to speak to concerned people standing over me when I lay down on the road instead! :laugh:

Top Bottom