Hitting a pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cold

Recently a friends son stepped out into the road without looking and was hit by a bike, the son was bruised and had gazes but other wise ok the guy on the bike was ok.
The guy has now contacted them asking for nearly £500 as his bike is damaged they don't have the money to pay for the bike to be fixed.
Has anyone been in a similair situation and how did you resolve it?

jarlrmai

Veteran
If this happened to me and I had the details I would want compensation for the bike to be honest. However I would have camera evidence of the incident as well.

Ask to see the quotes/receipts for the bike repairs to make sure that you are not being had.

Have the police been involved? Were there witnesses?

If you don't pay they may pursue through the courts.

RhythMick

Über Member
I'm led to believe that in the Netherlands and other countries a collision between a bike and a pedestrian is aimed to be the bikers fault unless proved to the contrary.

Just saying...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If the son is a little boy rather than 25 year old, then if the cyclist wins, he can probably be made to pay it off at 5 pence per week for the next 200 years

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
User30090 is pretty much correct, without any evidence/witnesses at all you can just ignore the claim and there's nothing they can do.

Witnesses, CCTV footage etc might change things.

OP
OP
C

Cold

I'm just hearing it second hand but knowing where it happened I doubt there was any witnesses an ambulance that was passing after the event stopped and checked them out the son is 14.

.stu

Über Member
Whatever happened to doing the right thing? From the description it sounds like the son was at fault and should feel obliged to pay for any damage caused to the cyclist or his bike. At the very least the parent should offer to pay for some of the repair cost to set a good example to his son.

If it had been a car that hit the cyclist then most of the posters on here would be screaming blue murder and telling the cyclist to sue him for everything he's got.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why the delay between the collision and contacting the other person involved?
Nothing to stop a person pursuing a pedestrian for money for damage caused, but generally only worthwhile doing if that person has sufficient money to cover what is being claimed for.

Top Bottom