Hmmmm - to bike or not to bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Metcheck says -2 feeling like -5 at 6am tomorrow, and it was raining all day today. I suspect it'll be like a skating rink on my route tomorrow.

Do I risk it being not too bad, or assume the worst and bus it (possibly saving myself some scrapes, bruises and a damaged bike) ?

I hate ice. :tongue:

Hmm, I think the most important question here is "What would my wife say if I came home black and blue again and had to dish out more money on my bike?"

Answer that truthfully and you have your answer :tongue:

Maz

Guru
I feel sorry for you guys in Scotland - you seem to be getting the brunt of the crap weather we're having lately.

From your description, goo, I'd say don't risk it - but I'd still do my own weather check in the a.m. You know how wrong reports can be sometimes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just a look out side and I can see stars over Arthur's Seat, so I reckon it is going to get pretty cold to-night. Not that it will stop me riding in tomorrow, but then my new commute is all on treated roads...

neslon

RAINING???
I had to ride home in a blizzard! We had several inches of snow & sleet in Northumberland & it was a bit horrible. Its due to freeze tonight, so I am going to consider using a car tomorrow (my off last week leaves me a little sensitive about doing too many miles on ice).

I don't know what I've done to my tendon; I was off the bike Sunday and today, to let it recover and remembered how much I dislike the PT alternative. I think the main roads will be fine, road salt is effective to -6deg and I'm desperate to get back cycle commuting but I think I'll give it another days rest at least.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Hmm, I think the most important question here is "What would my wife say if I came home black and blue again and had to dish out more money on my bike?"

Answer that truthfully and you have your answer :smile:

She can say what she likes as she became my ex-wife last year and I now enjoy the peace and quiet of the single life, with no-one to moan about what I do with my time or spend my money on :biggrin:

(well, except my 7yr-old daughter who lives with me every weekend and has me wrapped round her little finger..)

Keith Oates

Janner
Discretion is the better part of valour when there's ice on the roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranger

Decided to cycle in this morning as the M90 was horrendous and I got bored. Wasn't too bad to be honest, got off and walked at one point where a large puddle had formed the previous day and turned into sheet ice

domtyler

Über Member
Can't really feel sorry for anyone who has chosen to live above the Arctic circle, but certainly you don't want to be cycling on icy roads. Not if you want to have a good chance of staying alive anyway.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Didn't cycle when I saw the outside temp this morning. Looked OK outside in Leith, but the further I got towards work on the bus, the icier it got. At one point, the bus was overtaken by a gritter trying to get some salt on the road, which was obviously quite icy.

Had I not fallen off on ice at the end of last year, I'd probably have been out on the bike. But once bitten, twice shy.

Looking non-icy tomorrow though. Yippee !!

Top Bottom