Holbeach St Johns Fun Fifty (also 75, 25 and 6 mile routes) - South Lincolnshire 24th June 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
Event title: Holbeach St Johns Fun Fifty
Event date Sunday 24th June 2018
Event location:
Holbeach St Johns Village Hall PE12 8SD
Event organiser: Richard De La Bertauche. 07940939181 hsjfunraisers@btinternet.com
Your relationship: I'm a CycleChat member, passing on the information. I have no connection with the organisers.
Cost of entry: see website
Beneficiary: Holbeach St Johns Church
Event link: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/165814/Holbeach-St-Johns-Fun-Fifty

From the website: Following on from the success of our maiden event in 2017 The Holbeach St Johns Fun 50 is back for 2018!! with an added distance of a 75 mile route for those who want to stretch your legs. A sportive with 2 loops, one 25 mile loop and one 50 mile loop giving the rider a choice of either 25, 50 or 75 miles with all profits going to Holbeach St Johns Church funds.
All routes will start from the village hall in Holbeach St Johns, where sign-on and registration will take place, there will also be food,drink & toilets available for the riders at each 25 mile point.
South Lincolnshire has some lovely countryside with amazing views that go on for miles with an added bonus of those doing the 50 mile route of possibly getting a glimpse of the sea!! The terrain is as flat as a pancake!! Dont be fooled though this is excellent training for the more advanced rider.
There will also be a much shorter route (approx 6 Miles) aimed at families wanting a short ride, entry for this will be on the day at £2.50 per rider.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is near me and I was disappointed to learn that it is NOT a charity fun ride but a sportive with the usual restrictions, just in case the name trips anyone else up.

OP
OP
Fenrider

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
It's a non-commercial event organised by a church fund-raising group. I interpret that as a charity ride. With respect, I don't think anyone is trying to trip anyone up here....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've no problem with calling it a charity sportive or charity ride. It's mismarketing it as a fun ride when it's under full BC sportive rules. A fun ride is usually something like the Cambridge eLuminate Bike Parade, the Reach Ride or the Sandringham Samaritans ride, not one with rules on what you can wear and what bikes you can ride: no dogs, no trikes, no baseball caps...

and I expect it was originally thoughtlessness rather than a deliberate attempt to trip people up, although I have raised this directly in the past.

Top Bottom