Holdsworth frame id please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

I was just lucky enough to be driving past as the owner leant it against the skip. I chatted to him / he’s a bike enthusiast and had owned it for years but never got around to fixing it up. He was pleased to give it away to a good home. I’m sure your skips are as good as ours. It all depends on the area. The skip was in Ecclesall where average house prices are £279,000 which doesn’t sound a lot if you’re from within commuting distance of London but ‘up north’ its plenty.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
£279k buys you a pokey studio flat in one of London's rougher neighbourhoods, that's about it. Or, in the more select areas it will buy you a lock-up garage to park your car in! My really cheap, far-east import skip bike actually came from the Chelsea/South Kensington area! I rather suspect it was an abandoned commuter bike that someone heaved into the skip as it was lowering the tone of the area....

midlife

Guru
Professional frames had no mudguard eyes plus a few other differences from a Mistral. :smile: . I'd go for a wet finish every day of the week but not within everyone's budget.

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

I can get it wet finished by a local car body shop whose owner has sorted several of my cars in the past and four fibreglass garden chairs come to think of it. - I’ll check it out ta.

OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

I’ve got the frame back from the shot blasters with its ‘two stage’ primer coat. There’s a bit of ‘orange peeling’ and a bit of corrosion pitting but nothing serious. I’ve given the worst bits a rub over with wet and dry after an application of Holts Knifing putty to the pitting and a light coat of Primer Filler, so when it stops raining I’lll be able to start with the top coat from a couple of rattle cans. I’ll do the forks first and f it turns out rubbish I’ll take it to the professional. I’ve chosen ‘Olympic Blue’ a Ford car paint as the closest match to the original main colour I found when I scratched back the re-paint. The frame number on the forks matches the frame and is clearly 29875 so it’s a 1965 frame.

Attachments

• 3BDC05F6-538E-482F-B6AA-9BA03007EA33.jpeg
    3BDC05F6-538E-482F-B6AA-9BA03007EA33.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

It sprayed nicely with hardly any overspray so I did the lot with several thin coats till I’d used two cans. I find the rotary drier makes a good paint shop as I can turn it to allow me to get any breeze behind me and if the grass gets painty it’ll grow out.

Attachments

• 5E18B2E1-6DF9-4180-B6DC-F16EF22CE8C7.jpeg
    5E18B2E1-6DF9-4180-B6DC-F16EF22CE8C7.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 50

Dave Scrimshaw

Only just found this post. Yes I would see this as 1965 frame number, that circle in the number looks too small to be a zero. If correct it is close to a number we have with production info for April 65. So I would narrow this down to 1st quarter 1965.

I have attached a clip form the Excel file on this link and added your number.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

upload_2018-4-20_14-50-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_14-52-11.png
    upload_2018-4-20_14-52-11.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

Only just found this post. Yes I would see this as 1965 frame number, that circle in the number looks too small to be a zero. If correct it is close to a number we have with production info for April 65. So I would narrow this down to 1st quarter 1965.

I have attached a clip form the Excel file on this link and added your number.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

View attachment 405153
You’re correct it is a 9 - there is a much clearer matching stamped frame number on the steerer tube. There’s a pic of the number on the street tube in one of the above posts - 13th April (I’ve got the frame back from the shotblasters ....),Thank you for confirming it’s an early 65 frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robrinay

robrinay

Rebuilt with Weinman RM19 wheels Schwalbe Active tyres and original block which I’ve found isn’t original as the 24 tooth gear catches the top jockey wheel so I’ve bought a nos 14/22 tooth 80’s Shimano block from greedbay. Just the bar tape and decals left to sort.

FA6F734B-CF64-4207-A580-2B037A217447.jpeg

Top Bottom