Holdsworth how to establish manufacture year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge contacts. Very helpful! I was pretty sure the frame wasn't manufactured as late as the 90s. The bike needs very little done to it to be taken back on the road. Thanks again:smile:
You're very welcome. It's guesswork, but educated guesswork, and I reckon i'm not far off. It's probably a very nice bike to ride.

OP
OP
Iwona78

Iwona78

I don't think I can add much more .
To some people the campagnolo bits are worth more than the complete bike .
For me I would just enjoy it for what it is .
Value wise I would suggest £150 upwards would be fair but sure someone else will come along and say more
I realise the Campagnolo components might be more tempting for some people then the bike as it comes. It’d be a shame for it to be taken apart as it does have some sentimental value being restored and build for me but let’s see. I’ll keep an open mind.
Thanks for your time anyway:smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some people will look down their noses at 501, but that grade of Cromo (as well as 4130) has every similar mechanical properties to 531, so in terms of function and weight there is naff all in it.

I believe 501 first appeared in 1983, so that would set the upper age limit. Agree that a 501 frame can be very good, if well designed and built. Like-for-like, 501 is only marginally heavier than 531, but 501 was generally only supplied for the main tubes, with the rest being hi-tensile, even though I've seen Reynolds literature that suggests forks and stays could also be obtained in 501. In comparison a lot of 531 bikes were 531 everywhere, or had 531 main tubes & forks, and that is what makes the weight saving more significant.
I'm about to go for a ride on a 501 frame in a minute; I've got the tough choice of Raleigh hybrid or Raleigh MTB, but both Reynolds..

Drago

Legendary Member
John is right, 501 first made its debut in 1983, so I'm 1-2 years out at least.

In my defence, I knew that range of frame numbers went from 76 to 84, and was guessing at 81 +/-1 based on how high the number was, but not a bad guess, eh?

Edit - earliest reference to the criterium I can find is 1987, and that year they were fluorescent pink. The Falcon era Criteiums were 531.

Edit #2 - just to confuse matters, Claud Butler also sold a model badged as Criterium in the 80's. Identical frame design but in 531, but with different forks. The OP may not know but that that time Holdsworth and Claud Butler were made by the same folk, with the sportier bikes tending to be badged as Holdsworth and the more touring oriented models as CB, but that wasn't a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

southcoast

Über Member
I purchased a Holdsworth new in 83 and the avanti was their 501 tubed model at that time. The construction of the op’s bike appears more in keeping with a Falcon than a 85 or earlier Holdsworth.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
John is right, 501 first made its debut in 1983, so I'm 1-2 years out at least.

In my defence, I knew that range of frame numbers went from 76 to 84, and was guessing at 81 +/-1 based on how high the number was, but not a bad guess, eh?

Frame dating is unfortunately rarely an exact science, except where known month/year codes are used. I reckon we've got it narrowed down to a relatively small time window. I can say the tubeset can't be earlier than 1983, and the design of the Reynolds stickers means it probably isn't later than 1989 either. If your info says the frame number range extended only as far as 1984, we're probably looking at a 1983/84 vintage machine then - assuming your info is good and the frame is actually made of 501 with genuine original stickers.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Is there a number on one of the rear dropouts?

midlife

Guru
Google Holdsworth criterium and some like the OP's should crop up.

Large volume Manufacturers would order in a production run of decals / 531 stickers probably a coupe of years worth so the "old fashioned" 531 decal went on for quite a bit.

Small frame builders got the decals with the tube set so changed more quickly.

I like the Campagnolo cranks !

There are a few things which make me think that it has been resprayed . The lack of a head badge and Holdsworth transfer on the seat tube make me a bit suspicious . The front gear lever has been replaced with a clamp on one .
What make are the brakes ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Loooks familiar...

Same frame design (albeit badged as 531), similar wheels, made by the same people...

The geartrain dates this as about 1988ish.

I still think the OPs bike is of moderate quality and worth what I reckoned, but the more I research it the more it seems like a bit of a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Last edited:
Top Bottom