Holdsworth 'Special': Seeking fork or fork repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I am in need of a fork replacement for an 80's vintage Holdsworth Special. This was a very well set up bike that I bought a few years ago and after some updating (replacing 27" wheels with 700c and excellent tires, Mafac brakes to clear the tires, etc) have been riding it a bit. However, it had an unfortunate accident falling off a rack at 100kph. Surprisingly, the damage was only a <badly> bent fork and some scrapes of the saddle and handlebars.

I'm exploring a couple options for getting this back on the road:
- a new carbon fork: it'd be nice, light, but lacking in soul.
- having a custom steel fork made to my specifications (increased offset to reduce trail).
- finding a genuine Holdsworth fork replacement.

Opinions? Sources?

Attachments

• 20170527_103527.jpg
    20170527_103527.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 16
  • INJC0990.JPG
    INJC0990.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 18
  • VIGG9111-001.JPG
    VIGG9111-001.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 16

weareHKR

Ouch! Have you tried eBay?
I've no clue on road bikes but there is a lot of guys in here who do... :becool:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Richard Hallett has built a couple of excellent bikes for me. He also does a nice line in retro frames (inch sterrers and quill stems). He might be persuaded to build a fork to your specification. There are probably others about who would do similarly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hello,

I am in need of a fork replacement for an 80's vintage Holdsworth Special. This was a very well set up bike that I bought a few years ago and after some updating (replacing 27" wheels with 700c and excellent tires, Mafac brakes to clear the tires, etc) have been riding it a bit. However, it had an unfortunate accident falling off a rack at 100kph. Surprisingly, the damage was only a <badly> bent fork and some scrapes of the saddle and handlebars.

I'm exploring a couple options for getting this back on the road:
- a new carbon fork: it'd be nice, light, but lacking in soul.
- having a custom steel fork made to my specifications (increased offset to reduce trail).
- finding a genuine Holdsworth fork replacement.

Opinions? Sources?
Argos Cycles, Bristol.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The cheap and dirty option is get hold of any old scrap steel frame around 23"/23 1/2" with a 1" threaded headset and 27" or 700c wheels and rob the fork off it. OK, it will most likely be hi-tensile not the 531 that the Holdsworth fork is probably made of but it will get you a working bike you are able to ride. A rattle can will take care of the paint and you are good to go.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The OP appears to be stateside...

I think @SkipdiverJohn has it - a suitable 1" threaded headset donor bike or scour ebay for a 1" threaded Reynolds fork. A quick search just now on eBay has a few stateside....

But equally importantly, I absolutely love the 90s Alfa Spider in the background! 😍

I think @SkipdiverJohn has it - a suitable 1" threaded headset donor bike or scour ebay for a 1" threaded Reynolds fork. A quick search just now on eBay has a few stateside....

But equally importantly, I absolutely love the 90s Alfa Spider in the background! 😍
Ah, yes, someone with sharp eyes for the easter eggs I leave around. But you do need a bit of corrective glasses since that is an '87 Quadrifoglio (side skirts plus fiberglass hardtop).

The cheap and dirty option is get hold of any old scrap steel frame around 23"/23 1/2" with a 1" threaded headset and 27" or 700c wheels and rob the fork off it. OK, it will most likely be hi-tensile not the 531 that the Holdsworth fork is probably made of but it will get you a working bike you are able to ride. A rattle can will take care of the paint and you are good to go.
Arrgh, no, I can do better for a Holdsworth. Have sufficient other bikes to ride, don't let me get started.

Top Bottom