Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a nod the other night about a red 12 speed racing bike that was for sale about half a mile form me , so managed to get around last night for a look at it .

It was the seller's father's old bike and although he is a cyclist he had no interest in adding steel road bike to his collection of bikes .

No model or Reynolds decals to be seen , looks like a date stamp of 79 on the stem so that looks about right , ended up doing a deal so rode it home ^_^

IMG_20171120_200919912.jpg

Got up early this morning to give it a once over and swap the front tyre over as it had a 700 x 32 squashed in with only a gnats whiskers clearance .

IMG_20171121_051322737.jpg

All looked ok so rode it in this morning on my commute and it feels ok other than a very strange sensation through the bars which i think is an over tight head set .

IMG_20171121_080438198.jpg

Not sure of plans for it yet but will give a bit more of a going over and sort out the headset issue and then go from there , its got a nice Silstar crank and a set of Suzue hubs laced on to a set of 700 rims .

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:. Looks a bit like an Avanti but not 100% sure.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice :smile:. Looks a bit like an Avanti but not 100% sure.

Yes that was my best guess as well so 501 tubing .

Just stripped and re greased the headset and fr wheel bearings. Nice clear stamping on the fork 040173 .

IMG_20171121_193900303.jpg
IMG_20171121_193234624.jpg

Fr caliper rear washer was absent so a new one fitted also noted fr caliper date stamped 81 Will check the rear when I do the rear end.

ORO

Having purchased a Elan back in the day, which I still own. I seem to recall early Avanti models were 531 and then changed to 501, probably sometime around 83.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
bit of tinkering on this one this morning , swapped the 700 x 28 for a 23 to match the front one .

greased and up the rear hub cleaned the rear gear set and hopefully sorted the wobbly crank by tightening up the retaining bolt

gasinayr

Über Member
Having purchased a Elan back in the day, which I still own. I seem to recall early Avanti models were 531 and then changed to 501, probably sometime around 83.
Yes that is correct, I ordered an Avanti frame in 1983 and got it at a reduced price ( £120.00 ) as it was the last one they were making with 531 tubing
Sold it in a moment of madness a few years ago.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a productive hour in the garage earlier today , swapping cranks out on this one as the Silstar one still has too much run out for my liking , so swapped a "custom" crank on to it and its a lot better , also found a front guard that fitted just got find the nearest rear one to match it .

holds.jpg

Top Bottom