Holiday in Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Skudupnorth, we must have cycled past where you stay many times, and ColinJ, the ride around the peninsula via Penzance, Mousehole [Raginnis Hill out of there is fun], St Buryan, [miss out Lands End, it's now rubbish] St Just, and ride the coast road back to just before St Ives then back over the tops and down to Hayle, just tremendous.

Raginnis Hill is my nemesis - I have not been able to get up it without a stop. The road from St Just across Sancreed Beacon and down to Drift Reservoir is worth inclusion in a ride, as is the cafe in the middle of nowhere near Ding Dong mine.

Here's Raginnis from my bar cam (ouch):
raginnis.jpg

and by way of compensation, a less strenuous walk near Porthcurno:
porthcurno.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Raginnis Hill is my nemesis - I have not been able to get up it without a stop. The road from St Just across Sancreed Beacon and down to Drift Reservoir is worth inclusion in a ride, as is the cafe in the middle of nowhere near Ding Dong mine.

Here's Raginnis from my bar cam (ouch):
raginnis-jpg.18281.jpg
I did it about 4 days in succession with a raging headwind blowing from the west, which made it extremely hard work! On the 5th day, the wind dropped and my superb fitness allowed me to dance up it as though I were a gifted climber. At least, that's what I thought at the time ... Knowing what I know now, I reckon the wind had shifted round to the east so my climb had been wind-assisted! :thumbsup:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I did it about 4 days in succession with a raging headwind blowing from the west, which made it extremely hard work! On the 5th day, the wind dropped and my superb fitness allowed me to dance up it as though I were a gifted climber. At least, that's what I thought at the time ... Knowing what I know now, I reckon the wind had shifted round to the east so my climb had been wind-assisted! :thumbsup:

We go most years and after Suffolk, the area is a bit of a shock to the system! Nothing especially high but a lot of very steep but short hills, several of which are rather steeper than the ones arrowed on the OS map. However, it does become easier after a few days - not sure if it is my superb fitness or pasty power :whistle:.

There's a much shorter but equally steep bit at Treen(good cafe)/Penberth valley, which I have to do on a daily basis to get to anywhere along the southern coast from where we stay, near Polgigga. This ensures I start most rides feeling like I've already done 25 miles.

Yes, a 25 mile ride in Cornwall feels like double that, it's the one place my fixed has no place :smile:. Two years ago dr_pink thought it would be a good idea to do a 90 miler taking in the Lizard and every hill she could plot on the map, fortunately we stopped for an ice cream at Roskilly's and a pasty [lettuce leaves for her] at Mullion. Going past RAF Culdrose we got into a friendly bit of racing with some of the RAF boys into Helston and beyond, many memories and just about all good.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs OTD has been looking at holidays on the net.

We don't fancy jetting off this year, preferring a holiday in Engerland instead!
She's been looking at quaint holiday cottages, mainly in the Cornwall/Devon area.

Anyone stopped in one? Any opinions, suggestions?
Kids are old enough to stop at home alone now so it'll be myself and Mrs OTD. Can't see cycling being on the menu as she doesn't cycle. Possible round of golf may be on though while she sits outside the cottage reading a book. (weather permitting!)

Odd, it's never rained once in Cornwall when we've been in the summer holidays... stayed in some great cottages and houses... Truro was great. Look at Owner's Direct lets on the web...

Will do TF!! :laugh: When do you fancy going?
When it's not going to rain of course! It would also mean you get to ride with dr_pink, er good luck with that one :rolleyes:.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
If you can do June, it might prevent this from happening (June last year). It started as a pleasant ride in the evening sun....
sennen.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you can do June, it might prevent this from happening (June last year). It started as a pleasant ride in the evening sun....
View attachment 18312
I experienced one of those white-outs at Sennen Cove!

It was a fine sunny day in Penzance when we caught a bus over to Sennen but we descended into a thick chilly mist like that. We waited for the mist to clear, but it didn't so we headed back over to Penzance and the sunshine. When we arrived back, it was clear that something exciting had happened because there were plastic chairs from a cafe strewn about one street. Apparently, a mini-tornado had struck a few minutes before!

On another occasion (another fine sunny day) we were walking the coastal path round to Sennen from Penzance when I spotted a violent thunderstom a couple of miles out to sea. It was only a mile or so across, but it was heading straight for us! I took stepsprog by the hand, alerted her mum and gran, and ran down a path to a little cove to get off the high ground. Lightning bolts were soon zapping the path above us! 5 minutes later, it was clear and sunny again.

Obviously, the weather can change quickly on a small area of land jutting out into a major ocean!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The weather in West Penwith is remarkable. You can spend the entire day immersed either in sea fog or low cloud, only to find that five miles way it has been sunny all day. The sea fog can be really impressive when it rolls in - you can see it coming over the sea at a distance as a massive dense white wall.

Frustratingly, you can also get blue sky round the entire coast but have cloud forming directly overhead. Best bet in bad weather is to head to the other side of the peninsula and hope it's better there.

Where in South Wales are you thinking of?

I love Gower Peninsular and also Tenby is really like a cornish seaside town. Been there a few times and loved it. Friends love going a bit further into Pembroke end but not done it myself. Gower has really fantastic beaches. We camped in Oxwich Bay.

With Cornwall I slightly feel taken for granted by the tourist trappings but in South Wales they really seem pleased to see you and seem to go out of their way. Also as it is not totally overrun by tourists there is a real world there too not just one made up for tourists.

Sennen Cove is an evil place

I innocently stayed in the Old Success

They forced me to drink lots of Doom Bar and sing lots of folk songs about sailors and such like

Please take this warning and do not be led astray............

Doseone

Guru
I love Gower Peninsular and also Tenby is really like a cornish seaside town. Been there a few times and loved it. Friends love going a bit further into Pembroke end but not done it myself. Gower has really fantastic beaches. We camped in Oxwich Bay.

With Cornwall I slightly feel taken for granted by the tourist trappings but in South Wales they really seem pleased to see you and seem to go out of their way. Also as it is not totally overrun by tourists there is a real world there too not just one made up for tourists.

You're right the Gower is beautiful, and there are some lovely beaches around the Tenby area. My favourite area is North Pembrokeshire from Newgale upwards. There are some amazing beaches. I do like Cornwall too though, although we've never been in the height of the season.

Top Bottom