Holiday in Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Mrs OTD has been looking at holidays on the net.

We don't fancy jetting off this year, preferring a holiday in Engerland instead!
She's been looking at quaint holiday cottages, mainly in the Cornwall/Devon area.

Anyone stopped in one? Any opinions, suggestions?
Kids are old enough to stop at home alone now so it'll be myself and Mrs OTD. Can't see cycling being on the menu as she doesn't cycle. Possible round of golf may be on though while she sits outside the cottage reading a book. (weather permitting!)

deanE

Apart from golf, what other interests? May determine which area you look at, unless you don’t mind driving about once you are here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does she like walking? The coastal path from Penzance round to St. Ives is rather fantastic. Great beach at Sennen Cove. The Minack theatre looks worth a visit - it is on that coastal path. I loved Mousehole though it was rather busy. I quite fancied going to St. Michael's Mount but opted to go cycling instead.

SW Cornwall generally has about the best weather on the mainland UK, though we did have a couple of spectacularly bad days while we were down there. I went down for Christmas once and was walking around St. Ives in shorts, it was that mild.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[Brian Sewell mode ON]

I was taken on my first holiday to Cornwall when I was six, and I have been back a lot to the South coast near Falmouth and St Mawes ever since. The Roseland is great, and I have heard good reports of Fowey. Personally, I find the North Coast a bit "bungaloid" and bleak, and the surfing Meccas there are my idea of utter Hell.

[Brian Sewell mode OFF]

Reactions: GM

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't want to put you off, but isn't it always peeing down, down there in the summer? The last time i went to Cornwall was in 2001,it was average weather that time, but for the last ten years it seems to have had some seriously bad weather!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cornwall is fantastic !!! We stop at a place just outside Penzance in a site that has caravans and lodges.We have used the lodges for many years and they are just like lovely little houses with all the mod cons plus the site has no club/pub so it is perfect for a nice quiet break.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to like Cornwall until I discovered the area north of Watford. I just felt that every where we went in Cornwall was a rip off, over inflated prices, poor service, poor food in most places and the traffic do not mention the traffic.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
come down out of season, much nicer (and quieter) i try and cycle everywhere in the summer or use back roads where ever possible. Padstow/wadebridge is nice, nice walk down the camel trail, also south coast is good for walking too.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We went to Cornwall last year, first time in 25 years. We stayed in a cottage in West Looe. I can't recomend Looe to anyone. Poor beaches (stones), the drains were smelling and the town was like a tired small seaside town with a few fishing boats. The pubs weren't much either. Better to go a bit further west. Fowey is very nice, as is Padstow, or Padstein as the locals call it.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if you can get on a place in clowance house in praze n beeble you will be in heaven - has its own golf course , its in the middle of nowhere but still not far from anywhere - we've been twice and i aint no golfer its just such a relaxing holiday once your there . we are all different so i dont know what you would like but they have been the best holidays i've had in England

Last time I was in Cornwall it rained rather a lot. so much so that we abandoned walking the SWCP and tried to head home. I say try because depsite the best efforts of the bus driver we missed the train in the station and had to wait 4 hours for the next one to get through (fallen trees on the line). Thinking we were safe we got on that next train, only to end up being rescued by the firemen wearing lifejackets in a lifeboat off the train which was still on the tracks being battered by high 'spring' tides coupled with a storm surge and all I can say is that I was really glad it as going dark at the time because some of the occupants of that carriage could not cope with the fact that the water outside was higher than our feet were inside... (and trains doors are not waterproof, just watertight if they are not being hit by walls of water called waves..)
not actually been back since!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha ha - that sounds fun - not!

On the way down for one of my Cornish holidays, the engine pulling the train broke down on an uphill gradient and we were stranded for about 4 hours before they got a replacement engine out. The toilets in every carriage backed up, food and drink supplies ran out, and it was a stifling hot day. Not very nice at all ... I was so annoyed, that I marched straight into the office at Penzance station to complain. The man there calmly handed me a claim form and sent me on my way. I wrote to the rail company and they ended up giving me a £100 refund on the cost of the tickets.

screenman

Legendary Member
Now that is what I call a beach.

luskentyre-scotland.jpg

Top Bottom