Holiday in Majorca : Any tips for day outing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just booked a family holiday in August. Now I know some will think I'm being selfish but was hoping a few of the esteemed members out there may have a few pointers re getting a day out on a bike with a bike touring company. Has anyone did anything similar or knows of a company that did a day tour. I know it's a holiday but just one day out on the roads won't hurt anyone. Wifey will understand I think :boxing:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Oh god yes.

It all depends where you are staying. I dont know if you have been before, but looking at a map of Majorca all the left hand side is mountains from the bottom to the very top and the rest of the Island is pretty flat. Its all good for cycling it all depends what you like. The mountains are tough but superb for bike riding. There is a route called Sa Colabra and if Walt Disney was going to design a cycle route for Disneyland, this is it. Going down is unbelievable and coming up is something you would never forget. Some of the road surfaces in the mountains are a work of art.

The Island is a training ground for all the top teams and so it is all rigged up for cyclists. There are lots of cycle hire companies who hire top notch bikes. Take your helmet and shoes. Taking your own pedals is also a good idea.

Where do you intend to stay?

Sa Colabra.....you can see cyclists on the left hand side. This goes down about 9 km to the sea.

image_zpsaa19fce3.jpg

Oh god yes.

It all depends where you are staying. I dont know if you have been before, but looking at a map of Majorca all the left hand side is mountains from the bottom to the very top and the rest of the Island is pretty flat. Its all good for cycling it all depends what you like. The mountains are tough but superb for bike riding. There is a route called Sa Colabra and if Walt Disney was going to design a cycle route for Disneyland, this is it. Going down is unbelievable and coming up is something you would never forget. Some of the road surfaces in the mountains are a work of art.

The Island is a training ground for all the top teams and so it is all rigged up for cyclists. There are lots of cycle hire companies who hire top notch bikes. Take your helmet and shoes. Taking your own pedals is also a good idea.

Where do you intend to stay?
Cheers Steve,

Staying at C'an Picafort, First time there. Tenerife last year and got a day out so was hoping Majorca would do the same. I take it there are lots of companies who will take you out on day trip and supply the bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont know about companies that take you out for a days ride as I have always taken myself. Majorca is a simple Island to get round.

From Can Picafort, a good days ride it to the lighthouse at Cap De Formentera. You basically take the coast through Port de Pollenca and then up the mountain to the very tip to reach the lighthouse. There is an excellent cycle path that runs alongside the sea from Alcudia to Port de Pollenca. They are used to bikes on Majorca.

image_zpsd02a310a.jpg

There are lots of guys on here who visit Majorca every year and am sure they will give you plenty of advice.

Get in touch with Bruce at ProCycle Hire up in PP for a decent bike hire place. There's also a decent bike shop/hire in Playa de Muro run by a German guy. Hires out Giant bikes.
Most of the cycle tour companies are geared for spring and autumn as that's when the majority of cycle tourists visit the island.
A good route from Can Picafort would be out to Sa Pobla, then head through Buger, Campanet, Moscari before climbing the Coll de Sa Ballata to Lluc (good cafe next to the petrol station) before descending down to Pollenca and PP then back along the coast to Can Picafort.
Roads are smooth and the vast majority of local drivers are very considerate towards cyclists however in August there will be a lot more hire cars, tourist coaches etc.

tramuntanacycling

Very solid advice above.

I would add that unless you are used to exercising in the heat, take care. Lots to drink with electrolytes, suntan cream (baring in mind that sweating removes it) and stay away from the heat of the day. Mornings are best, but at a pinch the evening will do as well (although the heat will be rising from the sun drenched tarmac.

Also, without putting a dampener on your one day to cycle, getting anywhere memorable from and back to Can Picafort before the heat sets in will curtail your time in the "memorable" area. If it were me, I would take my kit, helmet and pedals in a backpack and take a local regular IB bus through to and back from Port Pollenca (where there is a good choice of bike hire and collect your pre-ordered bike that you have organised an early collection time) so I could do the newly resurfaced Cap Formentor route without wasting any time on the less memorable areas.

Truth is, you have to come back for a proper cycling holiday! A weekend would work - stay in Port Soller, close to the airport, to the sea and to the mountains!

Good luck, enjoy.

Very solid advice above.

I would add that unless you are used to exercising in the heat, take care. Lots to drink with electrolytes, suntan cream (baring in mind that sweating removes it) and stay away from the heat of the day. Mornings are best, but at a pinch the evening will do as well (although the heat will be rising from the sun drenched tarmac.

Also, without putting a dampener on your one day to cycle, getting anywhere memorable from and back to Can Picafort before the heat sets in will curtail your time in the "memorable" area. If it were me, I would take my kit, helmet and pedals in a backpack and take a local regular IB bus through to and back from Port Pollenca (where there is a good choice of bike hire and collect your pre-ordered bike that you have organised an early collection time) so I could do the newly resurfaced Cap Formentor route without wasting any time on the less memorable areas.

Truth is, you have to come back for a proper cycling holiday! A weekend would work - stay in Port Soller, close to the airport, to the sea and to the mountains!

Good luck, enjoy.
Thanks very much for the sterling advice. Really appreciate it. Will try the run at Cap Formentor and I do hope to return for the cycling holiday as suggested with some club members. I know it seems amateurish but I never thought about how hot Majorca could be. Early morning start it will be. Can I keep your business name for further details on booking a proper tour later on in the year :thumbsup:

tramuntanacycling

Thanks very much for the sterling advice. Really appreciate it. Will try the run at Cap Formentor and I do hope to return for the cycling holiday as suggested with some club members. I know it seems amateurish but I never thought about how hot Majorca could be. Early morning start it will be. Can I keep your business name for further details on booking a proper tour later on in the year :thumbsup:

Good luck, enjoy!

Regarding tours - our website and Facebook page are just a hobby to spread the best cycling info we have or are able to get hold of. If you decide to take one in the future, let us know your requirements and I am sure we can help narrow down the choices for you.

Top Bottom