Holiday suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Suffolk. Not necessarily near the coast either. We stayed near Framingham a few weeks back. Pretty, quiet and 20 miles from the coast.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The isle of Arran. Scotland in miniature. 56 miles round the perimeter, mountains (no Munros but Goat Fell is magnificent), easy to access (depending on your start point), all-in-all, beautiful (depending upon weather).

D

Deleted member 1258

The Cotswolds, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, The Isle Of Wight.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Travel in space AND time with a visit to the Isle of Wight!

Riding around the island on the well-marked on-road cycle route is 100km, with an extra 10km if you ride to the Needles. For hills, it's constantly lumpy rather than alpine. I can't vouch for off road, but the recent extensive resurfacing of the island's roads means they're better for riding than anything on the mainland. There's lots of coast to enjoy. The north-facing coasts are touristy and sometimes a bit shabby, but the south western edge has spectacular chalk cliffs, quiet beaches and is largely unspoiled.

Downsides. It can get busy in high summer. The ferries across are expensive. The local driving style is a little retro and some islanders can carry a bit of a chip on their shoulders. If you're old enough to remember the 70s, you'll get the vibe.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We did the Outer Hebrides a few years ago and very much liked it. You will get a day of sideways rain though.
Wales is good, as is Norfolk - I've cycled both of those before. Lake District also nice, although again, rain can be expected at some point. Otherwise it would be the 'Big dry hole in the ground district', or possibly the Crater District.
*ponders*
I'd go to the Crater District! :biggrin:

I'm planning a weekend in the Peak District sometime - I want to cycle the Tissington Trail, High Peak Trail and possibly that one that ends up at Bakewell, whatever it's called.

snorri

Legendary Member
Easter Ross, easily accessible by Sleeper train from Euston and local train from Inverness, (or cycle from Inverness). Sufficient local loops, coastal or inland, to keep you cycling for a week or more.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a great time in the Western Isles - Islay, Jura and thereabouts. Wonderful scenery, great fish & chips, and you can combine the cycling with (very cheap) ferries between isles. Single malt tasting everywhere too, if that floats your boat!

stephec

Legendary Member
Travel in space AND time with a visit to the Isle of Wight!

Riding around the island on the well-marked on-road cycle route is 100km, with an extra 10km if you ride to the Needles. For hills, it's constantly lumpy rather than alpine. I can't vouch for off road, but the recent extensive resurfacing of the island's roads means they're better for riding than anything on the mainland. There's lots of coast to enjoy. The north-facing coasts are touristy and sometimes a bit shabby, but the south western edge has spectacular chalk cliffs, quiet beaches and is largely unspoiled.

Downsides. It can get busy in high summer. The ferries across are expensive. The local driving style is a little retro and some islanders can carry a bit of a chip on their shoulders. If you're old enough to remember the 70s, you'll get the vibe.
This.

I've only been once, but I'd certainly go back.

Top Bottom