Holland....any local knowledge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebuddy

Über Member
This summer I am taking my wife on her first cycle tour. We have chosen Holland for easy access and nice n flat.
The plan is to take the overnight ferry from Newcastle to Ijmuiden. From there I was thinking of a clockwise route heading north possibly on the north sea cycle route then across the big dyke that is about 20 miles long. I can't think how to spell the name of it. Then over towards Groningen, south and back towards the ferry. You get the idea.
Anyone have any advice or recommendations. My wife doesn't do camping at the moment, thats another day another time.
A nice slow pace with not too many big mileage days, till she gets used to it. We are considering hostels for accommodation to keep the cost down.
I appreciate any advice, Thanks Somebuddy

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Take a look at this website.

snorri

Legendary Member
Some thoughts....
A good idea to follow the NSCR at the start of your tour as it provides a gentle, confidence boosting introduction to foreign touring.
You should get a following wind heading north from Ijmuiden.
The Afsluitdijk is probably the longest straight you will ever cycle on, help relieve the boredom by checking the accuracy of your computer with the metre posts alongside the path:smile: and stop for refreshments at the café at the mid point.
Take a pocket English/Dutch dictionary , good for helping to understand menus and road signs.
After leaving the ferry you have the option of joining the NSCR close to the ferry terminal by following the signs across several lock gates, or going into Ijmuiden and then east to Velsen where you can take the free ferry across the Noordzee canal.

This summer I am taking my wife on her first cycle tour. We have chosen Holland for easy access and nice n flat.
The plan is to take the overnight ferry from Newcastle to Ijmuiden. From there I was thinking of a clockwise route heading north possibly on the north sea cycle route then across the big dyke that is about 20 miles long. I can't think how to spell the name of it. Then over towards Groningen, south and back towards the ferry. You get the idea.
Anyone have any advice or recommendations. My wife doesn't do camping at the moment, thats another day another time.
A nice slow pace with not too many big mileage days, till she gets used to it. We are considering hostels for accommodation to keep the cost down.
Done almost exactly that except from Hook van Holland, I have done a travelogue on the first one in 2013 and half of one for last years, join this organisation Vrienden op de Fiets, brilliant. We also did the dyke and Groningen, have a read.

possibly on the north sea cycle route then across the big dyke that is about 20 miles long. I can't think how to spell the name of it. Then over towards Groningen,

Suggest you take a ferry from Den Helder to Texel island, and return via Vlieland. I haven't explored any more of the freisian islands but they are flat, quiet and very pretty. Summer B&B needs booking in advance, I am told. Dutch are keen on camping so sites are plentiful..

A good plan - doing the big dyke (Afsluitdijk) from the SW - going the other way the head winds can be massive - a short tour I did was supposed to be Antwerp to Calais - on arriving at a suitable station to catch a train to Antwerp I was advised by a Belgique cyclist that had just arrived that it was best the other way round - (he had trained to the station and was going to ride home - with the wind) - allow a bit of extra time for going south - or a Plan B involving the train

The dyke has got to be one of the most boring 20miles I've ever done - however it is among the fastest with the wind behind ^_^

No real suggestions - but I went north that way a few years back

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I was thinking of doing something similar I found details of a scheme where local people offer B&B in their home to cyclists. They're not running a regular B&B for profit but are listed on a website - available to those who join the scheme - for one-off stays. It sounded to me like a good way to meet local people while touring. If you want I can probably dig out the details. It's a few years since I looked at it.

e-rider

crappy member
SNEEK
the stayokay hostel is cheap and clean and lively, if you don't mind groups of teens on school trips!

Last edited:
When I was thinking of doing something similar I found details of a scheme where local people offer B&B in their home to cyclists. They're not running a regular B&B for profit but are listed on a website - available to those who join the scheme - for one-off stays. It sounded to me like a good way to meet local people while touring. If you want I can probably dig out the details. It's a few years since I looked at it.
This is I think is Vrienden op de Fiets [friends on bikes], you stay with people in their homes, sometimes you have your own cooking facilities, sometimes you can eat with your host but mostly as we did you eat out. The max charge for bed, breakfast, shower and somewhere secure and undercover for the bike is 19 euros per person per night. We made a lot of friends and have now covered most of the country including Maastricht, which we recommend.

Saskia

We cycled the North Sea cycle route from Scheveningen to Leer in Germany in 2007. Actually, we started in Amersfoort and cycled west via Utrecht, Gouda and Den Haag. It was a lovely trip, somewhat crowded on the west coast. I second the recommendation to take the ferry from Den Helder to Texel, then another "ferry" (actually a refurbished fishing boat) to Vlieland (book a week in advance!). You land on the sandy western end of the island and are transported by bus to the road. Then take the ferry from Vlieland to Harlingen and get back on the cycle route.
The landscape between Harlingen and Groningen is monotonous – you cycle through pastureland this side of the dyke for miles on end, but with any luck you'll be assisted by the prevailing tailwind.

xilios

Veteran
Try and make your way south like Maastricht, it gets more interesting around here, Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg are close together. There is a nice route (disused railroad track converted to cycle path) that goes from Aachen, Germany +/-30kms from Maastricht, to Luxemburg that is quite easy. http://www.vennbahn.eu/en/
There are also many rivers and canals you can follow if you tire of the hills.
There's also a lot of WWII history around here and also a lot of breweries.
cheers

Top Bottom