Hollowtech 2 bottom brackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Will a shimano dura-ace bottom bracket work with a Shimano XT chainset?

I've just aquired a new (secondhand) frame.
I got this frame very cheaply because the threads for the bottom bracket have completely gone. The previous owner has however managed to securely fit a dura-ace bottom bracket which is in good condition.

If I remove this bottom bracket (assuming I can) there's a good chance i'm never going to get another bottom bracket to fit without resulting to extreme measures like having the frame shimmed and re-tapped. Something I'm very keen to avoid.

I want to run the bike single speed so I can more or less get away with any 'shimano' chainset I like. However, as have a Shimano XT chainset spare it would be ideal if I can use that and save myself buying another chainset.

Will a MTB chainset work with a road bottom bracket? (All hollowtech 2).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
RedBike said:
Thanks JTM, that will be a no then.

I was hoping I could just swap the bearings, add more spacers etc. Obviously not.
From what I can make out, the axle length will be all wrong, unfortunately.

02GF74

Über Member
i had a frame with mullered threads many years ago - fixed by fitting stronglight BB - it had one piece bb with lock rings that lcked agaisnt the BB - i.e. did not reply o nthe threads to hold it in place - not explaining it very well but if you goole, yoou may find what I am on about.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Yes, i've seen them.
That would mean a new bottom bracket and chainset though. I think I would rather just pick up a cheap Sora/Tiagra chainset up off ebay and use the existing bottom bracket.

Provided I can roughly get a 2:1 ratio i'm not too fussed what size the chainring(s) that come with the cranks are. I will just get the appropriate sprocket to match. I would prefer to use 32/36 instead of 39 though.

Just trying to save myself £20/£30 by using parts I already have.

U

User482

Might be worth seeing if the BB threads can be re-chased? Most decent bike shops will have the tool, and it's not a big job really.

In any case HT2 bbs don't last very long, so you'll have to face this problem at some point.

Top Bottom