Hollowtech 2 (not Octalink) threaded BB removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Final thing to get off the Carrera frame is the external BB. I have the tool, but despite spraying etc, nothing is moving and the tool has damaged the cups. Large Stilsons?
No access to vices or benches.
Your advice appreciated!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Simple one, turning the correct way?

Big John

Guru
Hate to say it but see above. If it's external it should pretty easily come off. Left hand thread on the drive side. However, if you've already given it some Welly the wrong way then it'll now be a bugger to get off.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure DC knows the correct direction to remove.
You don't say if you're having trouble with both or just one side. No bench or vice you say. If it's just one side and you have access through the centre you can use a hacksaw to carefully cut the Octalink cup obviously trying not to damage the thread and then collapse it with a cold chisel. Last resort.
If you're using WD40 it won't help free it as it's not a real penetrating fluid.
I'd advise replacing the Octalink with a square taper BB and chain set.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Share image of left side please, assuming that's the side you have tried to remove first. Aren't all octalinks screwed in to (and inside) the BB shell? Have you been using a 20-spline tool?
And start the search for a local who has a bench vice. Secure in a vice, the frame offered serious leverage.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Fitted an Octalink BB a couple of weeks ago. The procedure and tool were the same as a std Shimano BB. What's the significance of it being an Octalink in this case? As above pictures would be good.

presta

Guru
the tool has damaged the cups

The solution to any type of tool damaging the fastener it's turning is prevention, not cure. People always wait until the damage is already done before they do anything about it. In the case of BB tools, a double-ended wrench eliminates the unwanted torque that twists the tool out of the cup, or failing that, holding the tool in place with a bolt will prevent it slipping out.

Ok, further research shows that I should have stated Hollowtech, not Octalink. My mention of Stilsons probably makes more sense now!

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
The question remains though, how did it not come off in the first place? Was it definitely being turned the right way? IMHO the crank standard has no bearing 😫 on the BB extraction method.

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
I've removed many a Hollowtech BB and have yet to come across a stuck one. The ones I've shifted have given up very little resistance. You'll have to put a decent length of pipe on the removal tool to give you some serious leverage.

Top Bottom