Hollowtech bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Well ,
that is very useful info for all ! .
it is a very simple ( as you know ) to remove these and service , which I will , If I rode the bike a lot more then I would maybe replace it with a square taper , I do check the idrive regularly , and it is , as you see well packed with grease , i do use Comma copper grease on some of the parts in there as it happens ,
Thanks for taking the time to explain this , Cheers !!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

What's an idrive. I did Google it but couldn't quite work it out from the results I got?

What's an idrive. I did Google it but couldn't quite work it out from the results I got?

You need to update your googling skills

I-Drive suspension design, referred to as 'Independent Drivetrain' on newer models, uses a ''floating'' bottom bracket unit that allows for a relatively high main pivot location without the main drawback that is usually associated with it - excessive chain growth. The high pivot helps the bike absorb hard, direct impacts due to the rearward axle path that it affords, but it's the floating bottom bracket that lets such a design work without the massive chain growth that would usually be associated with such a design. It does this by letting the bottom bracket move in roughly the same plane as the rear axle by locating it on a separate element that pivots off of the swingarm, all while being attached to the front triangle by a short link, essentially creating a four-bar linkage system even if it doesn't resemble what comes to mind when you hear that term.

p4pb11236635.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ah I get it now. I would have thought you lose a lot more pedalling efficiency with such a mechanism, than you do with normal rear suspension.

That's no good if the bracket won't do the job, but provided it gives a reasonable amount of service, the occasional £10 replacement is neither here nor there - I would view it in the same light as a chain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deo...|pcrid|71714705102|pkw||pmt||prd|5360701407uk

I do hope you aren't saying it is reasonable to replace/even service by tinkering (doing the mznufacturers job for them) a bottom bracket as frequently as a chain.

And as far as i am concerned a proper bottom bracket shouldn't need to be replaced "occasionally" - i would say "very rarely".

Maybe i have misinterpreted what you wrote but i do hope you haven't fallen for the marketeers' campaign to lower expectations.

Shimano Hollowtech BB on the Chief - 2 years and 2 months old and still going strong and smooth - what's the problem? :okay:
My Aunt Mabel has a bicycle that's been in her shed for 40 years and 8 months and 13 days still has the same BB and chain and tyres. She uses the bicycle to go to church on each and every leap year Sunday if it doesn't rain on that day. Her BB is still in perfect nick too. Strange, these things.

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
My sincere condolences.

Condolences ?
No need for them !
perfectly good , this bike is from 1997 , goes everywhere any other MTB does , yep Ive taken on board what was said about HT bb , but to be fair , I went to Evans looking for a chainset , I was informed that HT was the buisness ,so I went with it , and to be fair to Shimano with this SLX tripple HT Ive had no problem , after 3 years maybe , riding in through deep water, caked in mud,slime , dustbowls , apart from the black residue on the threads that you identified , and the dogbone becoming loose within the idrive , no problem with any of it really , a lot of hard riding has developed a prob with the frame ,but rather than repeat all , I put a thread up in the MTB forum

Last edited:

Motozulu

Über Member
My Aunt Mabel has a bicycle that's been in her shed for 40 years and 8 months and 13 days still has the same BB and chain and tyres. She uses the bicycle to go to church on each and every leap year Sunday if it doesn't rain on that day. Her BB is still in perfect nick too. Strange, these things.

Aaah right, that must be it then. Obviously the Snowdon, Peaks, Lakes, BPW, Degla, Swinley, Pines, Afan, Penmachno, CYB etc trips it's done are about the same then.
Good job everyone loves a smartarse, eh? ;)

Top Bottom