Hollowtech Clarification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan Farroll

Hi,

I am looking into replacing some components to upgrade my road bike and have a (probably stupid) question on bottom brackets.

There appears to be different marketing for different external bottom brackets, some just appear to be external and some are marketed as hollowtech and hollowtech ii - is there any difference or are these just the same thing?

Thanks

Alan

S-Express

Hollowtech and Hollowtech 2 are not the same. One is an internal/cartridge, the other is based on external cups. Both are compatible with 68mm BB shells though.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Technically there is a difference as S-Express says - but Hollowtech I was discontinued years ago and so some people just refer to the system as Hollowtech but mean Hollowtech II.

Hollowtech and Hollowtech 2 are not the same. One is an internal/cartridge, the other is based on external cups. Both are compatible with 68mm BB shells though.

Are you sure? I thought the internal cartridge was called Octalink. Hollowtech (original version) referred to the hollow forged aluminium cranks. Hollowtech II then became the external BB cups and 24mm crank axle. That's my recollection anyway.

S-Express

Are you sure? I thought the internal cartridge was called Octalink. Hollowtech (original version) referred to the hollow forged aluminium cranks. Hollowtech II then became the external BB cups and 24mm crank axle. That's my recollection anyway.

Hollowtech 1 cranks work with the Octalink BB, which is internal/cartridge. Either way, Hollowtech (as in 'not Hollowtech 2') takes an internal BB.

Top Bottom