Hollowtech- Tiagra/Deore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonoB

Über Member
Help needed. I am going to change my Genesis Croix de Fer from Tiagra compact Hollowtech to Deore triple Hollowtech. Can I use the same bottom bracket for the Deore crank or is the technology different (longer/shorter/smaller, etc)??

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Help needed. I am going to change my Genesis Croix de Fer from Tiagra compact Hollowtech to Deore triple Hollowtech. Can I use the same bottom bracket for the Deore crank or is the technology different (longer/shorter/smaller, etc)??
Are they 'Hollowtwech' or HT11.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hollowtech one or two is one of a few possible snags.

Will the shifters work with three rings?

Will the front mech have enough shifting range?

Will installing a triple cause clearance problems with the chainstay?

All sortable, no doubt, but if it's lower gears you are after a new cassette on the back might be a simpler solution.

A mate of mine has one of those wide range dinner plate rear cassettes with a single ring at the front.

He reckons there's plenty of top and bottom end gearing.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I believe that the mtb spindle is a little longer than the road one so the plastic tube that links the 2 cups may not be long enough. It's designed to keep crud/water out of the bb cups

U

User6179

I had a deore triple on my winter bike 68mm bb but I think I had spacers on the Tiagra bottom bracket.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be ok. I recently put a Deore triple on my Specialized AWOL . Your current FD might have the required reach for a triple, try it and see. Remove the cable and slacken off the H & L stops and move it across by hand. I put a £10 Microshift on from Decathlon. BB is the same dimensions for all Hollowtech bearings, new ones will be included. You might need to experiment with the three spacers that come with it.
Hollowtech 1 has all but disappeared.
Don’t forget you’ll need a new LH shifter.

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
I believe that the mtb spindle is a little longer than the road one so the plastic tube that links the 2 cups may not be long enough. It's designed to keep crud/water out of the bb cups

Correct.

Top Bottom