Holme Moss - happy now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Well today I decided not to stay in the office after lunch, met a mate and went to have a crack at one of the things I'd put on my list for the year, our big local hill, Holme Moss.

Happy to say that despite the strong headwind I made it to the top in one.
Fears about compact gearing were put to bed and we came back down, climbed up out of Holmfirth and New Mill, threw in Near Bank (nasty little bugger of a climb) and then went up to Emley moor just so we'd been to both transmitters in the space of an hour. Could clearly see the winding road up the moss from Emley, was hard to believe we just rode up it! :blush:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one Chris .Great feeling when you conquer a big hill isnt it?Especially one with views from the top.

Even though hills sap your strength I think I would find somewhere really flat boring to ride.Not that I get much chance to be bored on the bike round here.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Banjo said:
Nice one Chris .Great feeling when you conquer a big hill isnt it?Especially one with views from the top.

Even though hills sap your strength I think I would find somewhere really flat boring to ride.Not that I get much chance to be bored on the bike round here.

Cheers! Yep, it's been on my mind for along time and it was a better idea to just go for it with no planning or preparation to scare myself out of the idea!
Here's the top with apologies for the shorts...we left from the office so I had no kit other than shirt and shoes...:blush:
CHolmeMoss.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice one - which way up the Moss - Woodhead side or Holmfirth side.

The Holmfirth side is where some 'bugger' (read ToB) put those markers every 1/4 mile....starts about 2.5 miles from the top, when things start getting hard. Nightmare with a headwind up that way.

PS that's not the gear to be riding a nice Bianchi in !!!

Chris James

Über Member
Holme Moss isn't too steep, although can be windy and does go on about, especially now with the road markings counting the distance down (very slowly!). The section near the band hall always seems the worst to me!

Near Bank is horrible but compulsive .. I came off there on black ice a couple of years ago and have never viewed the road in quite the same way since.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Cheers all! Went up from Holmfirth into a 20mph bugger of a headwind. Very hard last section but knocked it down a couple of gears each time I had to stand and then back up to sit and it wasn't as bad as I thought.
The bit by the bandroom is steep but mercifully short and I got up there without the little gears ok.
I did apologise about the shorts... sorry again normally have my rapha tourers on that my lovely wife bought me at xmas. Shame they didn't get to the top with me. Next time!
I actually found those markers helpful, could kind of tell how hard it had been over the last bit of effort and see how hard it was gonna be for the rest. Who is Tob?

longers

Legendary Member
Tob = Tour of Britain.

Well done Chris! Fast descent on the other side.
Not been up there this year :evil:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good effort!

I've ridden up Holme Moss about 5 times now but I think I've only managed it once without stopping, despite the low gears I have on my bike. I've usually given myself backache on the way over there courtesy of Wessenden Head and Holme Moss finishes my back off.

Where is Near Bank? I had a quick look but couldn't spot it on the OS map.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Get in chris! Ive not been up there meself this year due to not having a geared bike, soon to be rectified......

Funny story. I was driving up over holme moss with the good lady a few years ago on the way bnack from london in the old mondeo.

Gasping for a wee at the top, stopped to relieve myself, as you do. Got back in the car- wouldn't start again! Had to bump start the bugger at the peak of holme moss!

Luckily had a bit of a run up for it though....B-)

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
Good effort!

I've ridden up Holme Moss about 5 times now but I think I've only managed it once without stopping, despite the low gears I have on my bike. I've usually given myself backache on the way over there courtesy of Wessenden Head and Holme Moss finishes my back off.

Where is Near Bank? I had a quick look but couldn't spot it on the OS map.

Near Bank is in Shelley, near the bottom of the climb up to Emley. When I'm at a proper computer I'll stick a flag in a google map for you.
Cheers Longers & Dan, well you couldn't pick a better place for a bump eh? ;-)

jamesxyz

Well done - your next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try the climb from Jackson Bridge near New Mill. about 150m in about 1.1km i.e. average 12% but some bit well in excess of 20%!

There's another one from Stocksbridge too - see Britain's 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book - Holme Moss gets 5/10, the JacksonBridge gets 8/10 I think!!

BTW CHris - are you a (fairly) recent rider around Windscar reservoir / windmills area - I've seen a guy a few times lately on a Bianchi that I hadn't seen before. I'm (usually) on a red white Trek if you see me.

Philk

Very well done, Im envious , you chaps who get up hills relatively easily are my heros.;)

May be in a couple of years ill be there but atm ill just look up to u lot :biggrin:

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
jamesxyz said:
Well done - your next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to try the climb from Jackson Bridge near New Mill. about 150m in about 1.1km i.e. average 12% but some bit well in excess of 20%!

There's another one from Stocksbridge too - see Britain's 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book - Holme Moss gets 5/10, the JacksonBridge gets 8/10 I think!!

I came down that last week. Used to live in Hepworth so know those hills very well. Have gone from Holmfirth to Had Edge, that's long and nasty.
Mind, the climb home from New Mill to the Sovereign is no walk in the park either!
Will have to get that book tomorrow and I'll try that climb at the weekend.

Yep, I got the bike late march and nip up around the windmills a lot
Just doing laps cos it'd the flattest bit around here! Will look out for you on the rounds.

Top Bottom