Holy Grail of clothing waterproof and breathable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
as yuor looking at a jacket that retails at around £250........why not take a look at this beauty

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-short-sleeve-shadow-jersey/product/PWJ01

Citius

Nikwax Analogy fabric is both

Technically not waterproof according to the BS definition. And practically, not breathable enough to work as a cycling jacket. Apart from that, it's great. Assuming we are only discussing jackets for cycling, I think I'll stick with my original comment.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, I wear several different jackets made of the same fabric, and have done for several years. I have never got wet. I think the term you are looking for is impermeable, which it isn't, nor is it supposed to be. I wear one of my jackets for cycling. It was marketed as a cycling jacket. I am always dry after my ride. The design and construction of my other jackets (and gaiters) are such that I stay dry from rain, and do not build up levels of sweat or vapour inside my clothing. I find them comfortable and quiet.

jay clock

Massive member
me too. I am either hot and sweaty or cold and sweaty regardless of what I wear

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Altura Varium is a cracking jacket in colder months, especially when the weather is changeable. It copes with most rain, unless it's torrential. It's a softshell jacket with a membrane sandwiched between the layers.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Gore Oxygen here in cold weather. Anything above about 5 degrees though and it is too warm and you boil in the bag if you ride at a reasonable tempo. It is pretty waterproof though, although you do get a little moisture getting in around the seams in torrential downpours.

Citius

Yeah but if you havent got one how can you say its not breathable enough for cycling?. I wear it and I have not been smothered or been drenched in sweat.

Because I have read reviews of people working up a sweat while wearing it for a 'brisk walk'. That suggests to me that it is not practical for cycling at anything other than a walking pace.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Thank you to everyone for their comments and input. I have decided to get the Sportful Extreme NeoShell. I will let everyone know what I think of it when it arrives and I get chance to use it.

Mind you first I need to replace my tyres that got destroyed yesterday :-(

Top Bottom