Home gym / Multigym

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauldavid

Veteran
Hi all,

Am thinking of investing in a multigym for a little resistance training. Don’t want to spend a kings ransom but don’t want to buy something that’s no good either.

Anybody using one already that they would recommend?

No suggestions about free weights please, I’ve decided a multigym is the right way forward for me.

Don't bother with equipment. You only need body weight to build strength and muscle mass.

1) Push ups
2) Squats (progress to pistol squats)
3) Pull ups (OK, so you need a pull-up bar)
4) Reverse push ups (OK, so you need rings or a strong table).
5) Pyramid push ups.

Don't go for numbers, go for one set, up to exhaustion, with perfect execution. It could be ten or 20, it doesn't matter. Do it every second day.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don't bother with equipment. You only need body weight to build strength and muscle mass.

1) Push ups
2) Squats (progress to pistol squats)
3) Pull ups (OK, so you need a pull-up bar)
4) Reverse push ups (OK, so you need rings or a strong table).
5) Pyramid push ups.

Don't go for numbers, go for one set, up to exhaustion, with perfect execution. It could be ten or 20, it doesn't matter. Do it every second day.
For pull ups and reverse push ups i use the kids swing .
Couple of dumbells i use for doing squats/ step ups/ revere lunges
core work is easy enough and stretch afterwards .

stephec

Legendary Member
When you say, 'a little resistance training,' I take it you're not trying to out beefcake @Drago ?

If not then what about TRX straps or one of the cheaper alternatives?

Bill Gates

One of the best investments I made was a pull up bar which fits above the door way and from the handles you can hang arm slings that allow you to support your weight with your upper arms, legs off the floor and then do leg raises. Stretches the back as well, great for riding. Crunchies will just do your back in. Horrible exercise also try spiderman press ups. Very tough

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you do want to go the gym route i found the total gym fantastic and you can pick them up on ebay . had one till i had to get rid of it to make room for all the kids bikes :sad:
One of the best investments I made was a pull up bar which fits above the door way and from the handles you can hang arm slings that allow you to support your weight with your upper arms, legs off the floor and then do leg raises. Stretches the back as well, great for riding. Crunchies will just do your back in. Horrible exercise also try spiderman press ups. Very tough
never had back issues with crunches to be fair , i assume your technique is ok ?

Bill Gates

Having good core strength is great for the back and supports the body on the bike so that you can generate the power to ride fast, However a crunch exercise pushes your curved spine against the floor and works your hip flexors, the muscles that run from the thighs to the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back. This overtime causes pain and inflammation. It took me 25 years to work this out.

Bill Gates

OK cyberknight you are right and I am wrong. :smile:

Bill Gates

Hi all,

Am thinking of investing in a multigym for a little resistance training. Don’t want to spend a kings ransom but don’t want to buy something that’s no good either.

Anybody using one already that they would recommend?

No suggestions about free weights please, I’ve decided a multigym is the right way forward for me.
Any progress on buying a multi gym?

Bill Gates

Over the years I've accumulated a number of free weights and dumb bell bars which are interchangeable. To train from home you would need a power bench as well. The advantage of having your own equipment is convenience, time and if you're just starting out the embarrassment of not being in shape. Other equipment I have bought is a specific core training machine, a core training ab roller wheel, a pull up bar,and arm slings for straight leg raises.
The investment will pay for itself many times over by saving gym fees

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We are in the prosses of building our own gym, so far we have weights, bench, TRX thingy, Spin bike, and a turbo trainer, Things i want, Punch bag, some sort of pull up bar. And a nice young masseuse :laugh: If only.
Have never been a lover of going to the gym. But am happy to have a go at home.

Bill Gates

We are in the prosses of building our own gym, so far we have weights, bench, TRX thingy, Spin bike, and a turbo trainer, Things i want, Punch bag, some sort of pull up bar. And a nice young masseuse :laugh: If only.
Have never been a lover of going to the gym. But am happy to have a go at home.
Punch Bag. I forgot to add punch bag. Well done derrick

PK99

Legendary Member
The problem I see with home equipment is lack of variety. Yes it is cheaper than gym membership, but my Nuffield gym has dozens of machines and free weight stations that make the extra cost worthwhile. For home based exercise I stick to bodyweight.

Top Bottom