Home laptop doesn't meet Windows 11 requirements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We're not allowed to do anything work related except on work provided hardware, unless we get authorisation from IT&Security department. My advice is stick with company policy. If you can't access emails on personal tech just leave it until you get onto your work tech. 1% of your need to use is not that significant potentially. If it is keep your work tech to hand.

You might be able to make something personal to work but if it seems like work criteria is making that difficult or costly then I would take that as a big hint not to use it.
I can access email and Teams on my personal phone after installing some company supplied software so it’s not critical.
I don’t have a company phone and I don’t want one as I can control client contact not them

I'm in an industry that's got higher security requirements so nothing personal for business use. That's OK by me. When I clock off, my laptop goes off until my next working day. If they need that to change they'll have to issue me with a company phone. Which I'll turn off too! :laugh:

We're getting w11 plus 365 and teams over this year perhaps into next. A big IT project. That'll be interesting to go through I reckon.

Apparently... i5-6200U CPU @2.30ghz isn't enough to support Windows 11 which I think I need to be able to access work email, Teams etc on it. It was a decent laptop about 8 years ago, don't use it much (probably needs a new battery, works ok plugged in).
Can this be rectified by a clever IT guy or do I need a new up to date machine (or I can just use my phone, iPad, work laptop to access work stuff)?
Thanks

Are you sure you need Windows 11? When we first were locked down and working from home I used my personal PC running Windows 10 to access Teams, Office 365 etc. It's an elderly machine that had been upgraded from Windows 7. I had no problems with that.

If you've got a work laptop you might be better off using that. Employers seem to get a bit uncomfortable with people using personal stuff - I assume cos they can't be sure what security, virus checking, etc is going on.

Anne is right, you don't need W11 to access those apps for if you use the browser version. Office 365 has browser based versions which work great (I use mine in Firefox). The Android 365 apps are also good but I don't get the ad blocking that Firefox gives me...

All my personal devices are donkeys years olds and I can use the web based stuff ok for those apps.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you have IT support, could you give them remote access to furtle around your system and see what they can do?

icowden

Veteran
Unless there is specific reason, buying Microsoft device is not recommended for consumers.
Eh? So what alternative are you going to recommend to Joe Public?
Microsoft is the OS for 72% of home computers. You either pay through the nose for a Mac and spend ages trying to get used to it and finding out that some software isn't available, or you get a chromebook which limits you to apps that you can run on-line. Or you can go niche and install your own Linux OS - good luck teaching granny to use that one!

albion

Guru
I said 'consumer' meaning near zero business style use. You can use a bluetooth keyboard, buy a cheap Chomebook or update an old laptop to Ubuntu for those occasions you feel the need.
I suspect most people get by with a tablet.

icowden

Veteran
I said 'consumer' meaning near zero business style use. You can use a bluetooth keyboard, buy a cheap Chomebook or update an old laptop to Ubuntu for those occasions you feel the need.
I'm pretty sure that my in-laws wouldn't be able to upgrade an old laptop to Ubuntu, or even use it afterwards.

I suspect most people get by with a tablet.
I suspect you are right. I also suspect that many people also want a machine on which they can print out photos, write an email or a word document, possibly do basic accounts etc. Most people I know, including my kids, still have Microsoft based laptops.

Top Bottom