Home made for the commutes - Be seen not hurt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keenbfb

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One thing I notice when driving my car, is that the bottom bits of a bike show up first as you're approaching from behind. Normally mudguard reflector and pedals going up and down are the first to be picked up on a badly-lit ninja. This is especially apparent when climbing hills.

+1 on this.

also a lot of hi vis that is mounted on the "rear" of packs and jackets, goes unnoticed on some riders as their backs are often pointing "up" more than "Back". I see a lot of riders with lights mounted on their backpacks that are pointing to the sky and the only thing that lights them up is the reflectors on their shoes or pedals.

Every winter I return to the idea of inventing an illuminated jacket, something that literally glows like the ready break adverts

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I can't vouch much from a drivers p.o.v (I don't drive) but when I have been a passenger, I've noticed the high viz jacket reflectors have reflected within a couple of hundred yards on cyclists wearing them. Definitely worth putting reflective strips wherever you can make them visible as it adds security and the chances of being more visible are much higher.

Also, Knog Frog Lights are useful. My mate has some on his front and rear wheels (on the spokes) so he can be seen from the side when pulling out of junctions.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can't vouch much from a drivers p.o.v (I don't drive) but when I have been a passenger, I've noticed the high viz jacket reflectors have reflected within a couple of hundred yards on cyclists wearing them. Definitely worth putting reflective strips wherever you can make them visible as it adds security and the chances of being more visible are much higher.

Also, Knog Frog Lights are useful. My mate has some on his front and rear wheels (on the spokes) so he can be seen from the side when pulling out of junctions.
Couple of hundred yards? Pah, you can see my lights from a good half mile away.

If you want side visibility, go for fibre flares, Knog lights are truly crap.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
What about magicshine rear?

My front cree's seem to be ok I have no problems on junctions during the night.(touch wood)

My visibility seems ok from all angles and the bike wheels and frame has reflectives but that doesn't stop the occasional close pass.

Gez73

Veteran
I find a well placed helmet light works a treat for Roundabouts, even if your lights have some sort of side-on visibility. I've never assumed a close pass occurred because someone didn't see me when riding at night any more than during the day. You can only make yourself as visible as you can and there will still be close passes because some drivers pass too close anyway.

Every winter I return to the idea of inventing an illuminated jacket, something that literally glows like the ready break adverts

I'm not sure this is that hard, even if expensive. You just need a diffusive material some narrow angle LEDs. I wonder if you could build it quickly with a solution in clear tubes, with LEDs to fit the ends and sew the tubing on to a jacket.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I find a well placed helmet light works a treat for Roundabouts, even if your lights have some sort of side-on visibility. I've never assumed a close pass occurred because someone didn't see me when riding at night any more than during the day. You can only make yourself as visible as you can and there will still be close passes because some drivers pass too close anyway.

I don't believe last nights close pass was that,probably wrong circumstances and my positioning was shyte but even primary doesn't solve all the problems.

The taxi one was strange,not sure whether that was a pay me back,not quite sure why though or just generally that taxi driver drives like an ar53.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What about magicshine rear?

My front cree's seem to be ok I have no problems on junctions during the night.(touch wood)

My visibility seems ok from all angles and the bike wheels and frame has reflectives but that doesn't stop the occasional close pass.
The maigcshine rear light is good, i think it's only downside is its narrow beam.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'll have to get around to building a prototype.
Someone beat you to it.
provizman_1.jpg

Proviz

Top Bottom