Home made for the commutes - Be seen not hurt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
I don't believe last nights close pass was that,probably wrong circumstances and my positioning was shyte but even primary doesn't solve all the problems.

The taxi one was strange,not sure whether that was a pay me back,not quite sure why though or just generally that taxi driver drives like an ar53.
By far the worst driving I see is from Taxi drivers, both the pre-booked and Black Cab varieties. I can tell when there are trains having arrived at Stockport station based on the frantic and inconsiderate driving by taxi's. They speed just to get back for the next punter before another driver. All short distance fares so they feel the need to get as many as possible from a single train. I try to avoid certain routes at certain times for this reason.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
By far the worst driving I see is from Taxi drivers, both the pre-booked and Black Cab varieties. I can tell when there are trains having arrived at Stockport station based on the frantic and inconsiderate driving by taxi's. They speed just to get back for the next punter before another driver. All short distance fares so they feel the need to get as many as possible from a single train. I try to avoid certain routes at certain times for this reason.

Very true, a friend of mine was knocked off of his bike by a taxi which ended up ruining the c/s on his bike.

Couple of hundred yards? Pah, you can see my lights from a good half mile away.

If you want side visibility, go for fibre flares, Knog lights are truly crap.

Cheers, I'll look those up. And the cyclist had lights, which you can see before the high viz, but what I was trying to say is, that lights + reflective clothing will help make your more visible than just having lights alone. Plus a driver has no excuse to say they didn't see you if there was an accident.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Of course, the main thing when you want to be seen is not to get carried away with the high viz stuff. Fortunately, I know when to say when.

a-3.jpg

b-6.jpg

'When' being, when I run out of reflective tape.

I find a well placed helmet light works a treat for Roundabouts

+1 on this. A helmet-torch on 'strobe' means you can direct light towards the threat, be it a roundabout or side junction. Of course, never, ever assume you've been seen though. I've had quite a few drivers do a sudden stop because they've seen the light at the last second. Something that I'm sure would not have happened had I been without the helmet-torch.

Top Bottom