Home made wholemeal bread.....with a difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
I use a bread maker so stick (pretty much) to proven recipes.
My son, (who is a chef so does NOT lower himself to use a bread maker :smile: ) told me he always uses beer instead of water.......different ale = different flavour.
I decided to try it with Abbot Ale.
I also added a goodly amount of mixed seeds.
Me and Mrs Dave pronounced it a great success !!!
Used Speckled Hen for the next one....also a great success.
To ensure good wholemeal bread I always......
Make sure the yeast is fresh.
Use 20% strong white flour
Add some vitamin C.
Any suggestions (for bread makers) appreciated.
 

Katherine

Legendary Member
Location
Manchester
I use a bread maker so stick (pretty much) to proven recipes.
My son, (who is a chef so does NOT lower himself to use a bread maker :smile: ) told me he always uses beer instead of water.......different ale = different flavour.
I decided to try it with Abbot Ale.
I also added a goodly amount of mixed seeds.
Me and Mrs Dave pronounced it a great success !!!
Used Speckled Hen for the next one....also a great success.
To ensure good wholemeal bread I always......
Make sure the yeast is fresh.
Use 20% strong white flour
Add some vitamin C.
Any suggestions (for bread makers) appreciated.
So, did you still use the bread maker, even though you used beer instead?
 

pplpilot

Legendary Member
Location
Knowle
Been doing this for years... my fave is a light citrus pale ale... try some pine nuts in with the seeds too. :hungry:
 

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
I use a bread maker so stick (pretty much) to proven recipes.
My son, (who is a chef so does NOT lower himself to use a bread maker :smile: ) told me he always uses beer instead of water.......different ale = different flavour.
I decided to try it with Abbot Ale.
I also added a goodly amount of mixed seeds.
Me and Mrs Dave pronounced it a great success !!!
Used Speckled Hen for the next one....also a great success.
To ensure good wholemeal bread I always......
Make sure the yeast is fresh.
Use 20% strong white flour
Add some vitamin C.
Any suggestions (for bread makers) appreciated.
Do you use all beer? 300 ml for a 500 gm loaf, say?
 
I know it's not wholemeal, but try Wessex Mill French bread flour ........WoW
 
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
Do you use all beer? 300 ml for a 500 gm loaf, say?
All beer.
TBH the breadmaker came with precise instructions re quantities and the measure for liquid is simly 3/4 of the plastic cup provided.
Now you have asked i will find out and report back.
 
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
I know it's not wholemeal, but try Wessex Mill French bread flour ........WoW
I will check that out.
I know that, as its a machine, only certain types of flour will rise e.g strong white is fine but wholemeal without some white has not worked for me.
 
Top Bottom