Home mechanic tool brands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I bought the Lidl Crivit toolkit. Some decent tools but I have added to this other decent tools. The case has space for smaller tools to fit in. I also have the Lidl workstand that's used regularly. The only problem with the workstand is the clamp to clamp the front wheel.
I bought lifeline torque wrench after looking at reviews and saw some good write ups.
I've also bought the lifeline wheel truing stand. (Not used it yet).
Spanners, hex key and screw drivers don't need to be bike specific so any good quality to avoid mangling nuts and bolts.

These Draper cable cutters are good..... View attachment 571835

About £12 on eBay.
Yep - one of my better tool investments for sure. Use them for all sorts - cables, spokes, nails, screws, and also great for cutting stainless filler wire for my TIG welding.
Might have to use them on my toenails soon, they seem to get tougher as the years go by. Just kidding on that one :tongue:

Venod

Eh up
Having used hand tools most of my working life, I don't stick to one brand but buy the tool for the job no matter what brand, Park are not my first choice, when cheaper tools do the job and are just as good, this thread has reminded me I need to buy one of the solid cassette removal tools to replace a much abused chain whip.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Park Tools are, for the most part, grossly over priced and over rated.

Nothing actually wrong with them, but the standard of manufacture and finish does not justify the prices. Some of their everyday tools like spanners and screwdrivers cost more than Draper Professional or even Snap On and Mac, both of whom offer lifetime warranties.

Lifeline - Jobsworth - Brand X etc all more than capable
I found X tools often surprisingly (in view of the price) good. I think they may have been rebranded Lifeline though, which rather muddies the waters as they may have introduced some inferior stuff for all I know. My X tools large adjustable cost well under a tenner but I find as good in practice as my revered Bahco. The Crank puller cost a fiver and is also fine. Also have a wheel dishing gauge. Park also generally good of course. I also like Unior stuff - seem nice and solid, kind of reliable old fashioned looking.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

First: make a list. Then place them in order of likely frequency of use. Consider which ones have a small interface which therefore need to be higher quality. Then everyone's balance of criteria (and range especially age/vintage of bikes) are different so the OP's Q is one they really have to answer for themselves.
(Bound to have missed some :rolleyes:) For me in rough order:
Allen keys
Cable cutters
Cassette lockring tool (S)
Chain whip
Chain tool
Spoke key(s)
Pedal spanner
Crank extractor tool
Cone spanners
Hollowtech2 spanner (and converter)
BB tool - 20 spline
Valve key
Cassette lockring tool (C)
Freewheel tool
C-spanner
Pin spanner
Torque wrench
Have not included non-bike specific tools.
That seems a very logical thing to do and is also recommended by park tools mechanic on tech Tuesday YouTube
Curious though
I di have decent Draper allen keys
Now my but ....as all allen bolts are torque on why pay big money fir a hand set ?
Why not relatively cheap just to zip up finger tight then spend more of tbe budget on expensive torque set of keys
Now I know you cannot use torque set to undo a bolt ..but surely a budget set will suffice for that

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not quite sure what you're asking/saying (and some letters seem to be dropping out - I'm guessing this is on a phone).
The amount you want to spend on tools depends on the individual: that's you. I'd say: don't buy cheap, but don't buy expensive. The need for a torque wrench has been done to death on other threads - search for those.

Reactions: C R
First: make a list. Then place them in order of likely frequency of use. Consider which ones have a small interface which therefore need to be higher quality. Then everyone's balance of criteria (and range especially age/vintage of bikes) are different so the OP's Q is one they really have to answer for themselves.
(Bound to have missed some :rolleyes:) For me in rough order:
Allen keys
Cable cutters
Cassette lockring tool (S)
Chain whip
Chain tool
Spoke key(s)
Pedal spanner
Crank extractor tool
Cone spanners
Hollowtech2 spanner (and converter)
BB tool - 20 spline
Valve key
Cassette lockring tool (C)
Freewheel tool
C-spanner
Pin spanner
Torque wrench
Have not included non-bike specific tools.

That’s a really well thought out list.

I’d probably tweak it slightly if the OP doesn’t have a lot of mechanical experience and a carbon bike or components, and that would be to move the torque wrench up above the spoke keys.

I splashed out on some Wera Allen Keys and have never regretted it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mostly Snap on, All left over from when i was a mechanic, Worth spending a little more on quality allen keys and a descent pair of cable cutters. A descent chain breaker is also worth the extra pennies, a good work stand is a must, I use Park tools stand.

Venod

Eh up
Here is an example of when cheap does the job as well as expensive, I built one of these at no cost I had all the materials, I have built quite a lot of wheels with it, of course it may not last as long as a park one but neither will I.
1612555465648.png

Milkfloat

An Peanut
By cheap buy twice can actually be a good ploy. Often a cheap tool will do a job, but only do it a limited number of times. If you only need it a few times then it makes sense. I often buy cheap tools, use Then occasionally and never need them again. If I do need to use them a lot then at least I know what features to look for in the next set.

Drago

Legendary Member
Most of mine is Mac, with a little Snap On and Hellfrauds Pro. Cycling specific tools I eyeball and buy individually. Not an especial fan of Park, although i don't have a downer on them - they're quite decent, albeit nit the last word in finish, but quite pricy, and quite often identical items with different branding, sometimes even halfords branding, turn up much cheaper.

Sometimes I improvise. Note the word improvise, not "bodge". For example Halfords Pro electricians pliers are superb cable cutters, far better than any cycle specific ones ive ever used, and fit my big hands very well.

Shop about, use your eyes and feel what you're buying and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom