Home Office Internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Has anybody wired up their home office for a wired internet connection, rather than wireless and do you find it more beneficial???

I get video drops now and again, due to everything being streamed in the house from ipads, to sky, to phones and now my works laptop and hoping it will help with these issues

TIA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not difficult. You can get "flat" cat5 cables that run under carpets well - cable upstairs to a switch next to son's gaming pc, then a cable to daughter's gaming pc. We also have 3 mesh discs, one backed up via powerline ethernet - that's the one that get's the signal out to my shed from the garage.

You may be better off looking at a mesh system - less than £100.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It's not difficult. You can get "flat" cat5 cables that run under carpets well - cable upstairs to a switch next to son's gaming pc, then a cable to daughter's gaming pc. We also have 3 mesh discs, one backed up via powerline ethernet - that's the one that get's the signal out to my shed from the garage.

You may be better off looking at a mesh system - less than £100.
just bought 30mtr flat cable......it will run from the router, up through external cable boxes, up under the floorboards and straight into the office.

cable cost me a tenner, i may do the same to the smart TV in the bedroom too

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Wired connections are the way to go where possible, so you're on the right track. Most routers supplied by ISP's are poor. They're OK for light tasks but for HD streaming on multiple devices and say gaming and similar, wireless leads to more packet loss and increased latency. A good quality wireless router will set you back around £300+ to mitigate much of the negatives. So the most cost effective route is wired connections.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As well as hard wiring the connection, can you split the router signal in two?

Vodafone routers can do this (but not sure about other providers). This way, you can have a dedicated connection and everyone else can share the other channel.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Wired connections are the way to go where possible, so you're on the right track. Most routers supplied by ISP's are poor. They're OK for light tasks but for HD streaming on multiple devices and say gaming and similar, wireless leads to more packet loss and increased latency. A good quality wireless router will set you back around £300+ to mitigate much of the negatives. So the most cost effective route is wired connections.
yup especially as the wired route gives me a 1gb connection, compared to 70mb wireless

OP
OP
J

jowwy

As well as hard wiring the connection, can you split the router signal in two?

Vodafone routers can do this (but not sure about other providers). This way, you can have a dedicated connection and everyone else can share the other channel.
not a clue......

si_c

Guru
Two best options are to get a better wifi router - multi antenna units will be much better at multiple streams.

For a single point wired connection the best option I found was to use Ethernet over Powerline, no drop outs, stable connection and no wires around the house.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
not a clue......

Screenie from the Vodafone app.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Two best options are to get a better wifi router - multi antenna units will be much better at multiple streams.

For a single point wired connection the best option I found was to use Ethernet over Powerline, no drop outs, stable connection and no wires around the house.
i got ethernet over powerline in the office, will try that now

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yup especially as the wired route gives me a 1gb connection, compared to 70mb wireless
Have you got a Gb connection to your house? :whistle: I know that some lucky people do, but most people are limited to about 70 Mb anyway so wifi isn't going to slow that down much unless there is a very poor signal.

(I am still on normal wired BB and only get about 16 Mb because my local green cabinet has not yet been connected to fibre.)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ethernet cable is way better than any wifi link. All you need is some Cat5e (or Cat 6) cable, a few RJ45 connectors and a cheapo crimp tool from eBay. You can get a cable tester for about a fiver too. It's a bit fiddly to crimp the connectors but there are loads of instructions on how to do it on Google and YouTube.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

ok - i have now connected ethernet over powerline adaptor and all is now better with the world........

so i have now have a 30mtr cat6 cable coming just in case i need to change something

Top Bottom