Home owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Dave Davenport said:
Depends what sort of deeds you have, if old style originals I think it's normal to lodge them with a solicitor, but many are (somehow) held by the land registry and you just get some sort of copy. I expect they'll be a solicitor along in a bit who can clarify that. Don't know what type ours are yet.
Unregistered titles are now very rare - nearly all of England and Wales has been compulsory registration for at least 25 years i.e. longer than the standard mortgage.

The Land Registries 'dematerialised' following the 2002 Land Registration Act. Registered 'deeds' no longer exist, so all you will get will be a printout of the registers showing that the mortgage no longer exists. Do make sure you do, because lenders have a habit of 'forgetting' to notify HMLR to release the mortage.

If you have a registered title, you can wrap your chips in the printout. It is no longer a formal document.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
7 or so years here.....

Well done...!!

ASC1951

Guru
I hope you all have offset mortgages? Mine is linked to a current account, so that I effectively get interest at mortgage rate on my meagre savings, instead of their derisory 0.1% p.a.

Greedo

Well done mate. It's a great feeling. I have ours held in a safety deposit box at the bank and we have 2 others from our first flats when we were single and my lawyers have them.

postman

Legendary Member
We did the same four years ago .Used the retirement/redundancy money .

And when the endowment ran it's course .We got paid out and did not have to find the shortfall.
Spent most of that on a super all singing kitchen .

So well done to you .

PBancroft

ASC1951 said:
Registered 'deeds' no longer exist, so all you will get will be a printout of the registers showing that the mortgage no longer exists. Do make sure you do, because lenders have a habit of 'forgetting' to notify HMLR to release the mortage.t.

Thanks for that. We paid off our mortgage a month or two back, thanks to an inheritance. We haven't received this printout yet - I will chase.

Top Bottom