Home visiting optician - thinking of commuter bike? 😂 Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another vote for a trailer.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
an optician has to carry a LOT of stuff
big panniers on each side at the back and a big box on the front
so ideally shouldn’t be something very expensive?
How about an 'Elephant Bike?' If security is a worry, they're not expensive and probably not attractive to an opportunist thief. Robust, reliable and certainly be able to carry that amount of gear.

View: https://youtu.be/D5QFcN3TBwU
(I'd go for the plastic basket rather than wicker though)

I was thinking with the right branding on all the bags and outfit etc it would really catch people’s attention
With its heritage and provenance, it could take this to another level.

On the downside, if you're in a location with challenging, hilly terrain, you will need thighs of steel!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Logistically, it's asking for trouble. If you can't park the bike safely within the customer's premises, you massively increase the risk of theft or damage. If the nearest immovable object to lock to is 100 yards away and it takes you two trips back and forth to get your gear to the customer, some of it could get nicked even in the time it takes.
People have made comparisons with other jobs like Paramedics. The difference here is the expensive equipment does not belong to them, and if it gets stolen or damaged at work, their employer is going to pick up the tab not them. Also, they still have to be paid even if they don't have their equipment. If a self-employed person cant do their job because they don't have the gear they need, they aren't earning any money. Big difference that those who get over-enthusiastic about the idea of carting tools around by bike should think about.

tom73

Guru
The comparison was to show it's possible and don't assume all 1st responders are paid or have someone to pick up the tab. Fundraising is hard work and believe it or believe it not some of use help other's for free. I'm fully aware of the risks and know having been self employed the need to make money and look after the tool's of your trade.
The OP will know which areas are just not a good idea and if they have repeat customers which one's will be practical. He was looking for advice which some of us have taken as to be looking for practical and helpful ones.

We don't all live within the daily mail world and go on what we see and know and not on doom and gloom of someone out to get you behind every other lamp post.

Only the OP can work out if it's practical but without a bit planning and thinking how do you ever know ? If we can got to moon it's not behind the mind to work out how and weigh up options to do job via a bike. If it works out to be a none starter then fine but if it's practical and it's something he wants to do then all power to him.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ wot @tom73 said. The OP asked for options and suggestions. He may well decide the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and that's okay. Thinking about change is good for us all whereas pouring cold water on a dream is just depressing for us all in the long run.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think this is a brilliant idea!

I'd love to see services being taken by bike to people in their homes. As mentioned above there are definitely marketing opportunities.

An ebike would seem, to me, to be a good starting point.

Good luck!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
This big enough?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure I’d want to ride 30 miles with that on my back

Orbea make a neat 20" shopper/commuter than can take a large box on the low rear rack.
The size and weight is probably less important than vibration and damage to optical equipment.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My sister in law is a podiatrist and occasionally does home visits.

She uses her Whyte/Shimano Steps ebike.

Lots of ebikes come in a trekking style - flat bar, rack, mudguards, decent lights on the better ones.

The weight in a couple of good quality pannier bags ought to be fine.

Asking the rear wheel to handle that and the torque from a motor might be a bit much, so a crank drive is what's required.

Lots of choice, but around £2K for something from the likes of Cube or Raleigh would do the job.

I was thinking the same, E-bikes make everything easier.
You won't be hot and bothered when you arrive and 15-20 kg will not be noticed when its wet windy or hot.
2-3k outlay for a top end or you could go for a 1-1.5k for a decent model like a trek or cube Bosch powered ,best for your needs as their reliability is superb.

Top Bottom