Homemade chips...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Longers - heart attack egg....... ?

That's why it was a rare treat. A good one but probably only once or twice a year, when the chip pan needed cleaning out :ohmy:.

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
You trying to get nominated as an honourary Scotsman longers? :smile: Next you'll be telling us Mars Bars are good in the deep fryer :ohmy:

Our apprentice has just got back from Edinburgh for a funeral. He says that deep fried haggis is now popular in restaurants as a starter. And a main course.

Noodley

longers said:
Our apprentice has just got back from Edinburgh for a funeral. He says that deep fried haggis is now popular in restaurants as a starter. And a main course.

Deep fried haggis in batter from a chippie is fantastic :ohmy:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Mind...how many times have you cleaned out the frier, added fresh oil...then find your sons cooked sausages in it the very next day :ohmy::biggrin:!:smile: FFS

And so we start again :biggrin:

Pete

Sorry - am I missing something here? Aren't chips always home-made? And what's all this with fat fryer thingys? Cut your potatoes into chips, heat oil in a saucepan, put in chips, fry till done, remove from oil, drain and serve...

Sorry I spoke.

A rarity here, but we often have saute potatoes instead, parboiled first then sliced and shallow fried. :ohmy::tongue::tongue:

Noodley

alecstilleyedye said:
i've had battered, deep fried pizza from a chippy in carnoustie.

The Belmonte chippie most likely. I used to be a regular when I worked in Carnoustie for a short time. Come to think of it, there are few foods which cannot be improved by adding batter and deep frying them :ohmy:

Noodley

Pete said:
A rarity here, but we often have saute potatoes instead, parboiled first then sliced and shallow fried. :ohmy::tongue::tongue:

Oooooh "Saute potatoes"...lah-dee-dah! :smile::biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Home made chips can help weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet. :angry:

I count all 1400 of them,in one meal,still didnt lose anything;)

Pete

Noodley said:
Oooooh "Saute potatoes"...lah-dee-dah! :biggrin::biggrin:
Being flippant, are we, Mr. Noodley? Each to his own, my lad, you go on eating what does it for you, I'll eat what I enjoy eating (some things in moderation :angry:). But, I'll wager, skimming through some of your menu choices on this thread, I might just live out a longer lifespan than you do, me boy....

Anyway, it seems...
Noodley said:
...maybe he parboiled them and bashed them up abit in the pan before the frying?
...that you've gone the same way yourself. :biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Pete said:
Sorry - am I missing something here? Aren't chips always home-made? And what's all this with fat fryer thingys? Cut your potatoes into chips, heat oil in a saucepan, put in chips, fry till done, remove from oil, drain and serve...

Sorry I spoke.

A rarity here, but we often have saute potatoes instead, parboiled first then sliced and shallow fried. :angry::tongue::tongue:

Yup...you apparently are !!!:biggrin:
Pub grub chips....almost always the frozen variety, tasteless and unfullfilling.
McDonald chips...ok, but....
Chipshop chips....real potato, better than most, but just not the same as ones cooked at home...

I thought everyone had a deep fat frier !!! In a sense, your saucepan is just that...a deepfat frier.
Although i concede, as a now irregular chip eater, theres less need for an electric frier... but even then, its just a receptacle for the oil.
Saucepan, frying pan, deepfat frier...same end, different vehicle so's to speak.

Pete

Thank you gbb. I'm afraid chips are too 'more-ish' for me which is why I avoid them :angry:. Unless, in a pub, the guy sitting opposite me has a monster plate of the b*ggers to tempt me! Who, in such circumstances, can honestly say they have not filched a few?

Just spare me the egregious 'fries' as per MacVomits and the like, that's all I ask.

Top Bottom