Homemade Liver Pate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The acquisition of a pack of pigs liver for 34p on yellow sticker last weekend gave me the idea to give this a whirl. Eventually I plumped on the recipe below, because I had most of the ingredients already in, and had good substitutes for the ones I *didn't* have.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/rustic-liver-pate.html

Most recipes for liver pate call for pork belly, pork shoulder and sometimes additional lard / fat to be added to the mix. This one uses sausage meat, which is, effectively, shoulder and belly minced together anyway. I didn't have any sausage meat, but I *did* have some posh pigs in blankets in the freezer that I'd picked up on YS on New Year's Eve. Two packs of those gave me not only the right amount of sausage meat after I de-skinned the chipolatas, but also the right amount of streaky bacon with which to line my tin. Result!

The other modifications I made to the recipe were as follows:

1) Swapped the port for cider plus a couple of teaspoons of Armagnac

2) Swapped out half the large onion for a finely chopped apple

3) Added half a level teaspoon of salt to the mix

4) Only had enough fresh sage for half the required quantity (my plant got snacked on over the winter!) so added some dried plus a heaped teaspoon of dried mixed herbs to make up the difference

5) Upped the seasoning with the extra addition of a level teaspoon of allspice and a quarter level teaspoon of freshly-ground black pepper.

6) Didn't put the sausage meat in the blender along with the liver, as I personally prefer a coarse pate to a smooth one.

After a day's resting in the fridge to let the flavours mature, I had some for luncheon on hot buttered toast. And it's bloody lovely. I will say that the prep on this takes decidedly longer than what the recipe states, and it is a bit faffy, but really, it's very much worth the effort. If I was doing this for a "do" then I'd probably finish the top with a flavoured jelly and decorate it with some bay leaves and peppercorns to make it look poncy.

Highly recommended. :hungry:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I used to make a very easy chicken liver pate but I haven't seen chicken livers anywhere for ages. I keep meaning to ask the butchers in the market.

Mind you, I prefer a simple breakfast dish of fried chicken livers on a nice, crusty white bread lightly toasted. I am now drooling at the thought of it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've made a passable smoked mackerel pate several times but never a meat pate. My attempts at pork rillettes were pretty much disastrous. I'm thinking of having a go at Pate de Campagne. The French cooks say you just lob in any old bits of pork but ,following their recipes, the ingredients cost a small fortune at the butcher/supermarket.
I follow recipes slavishly, and can't improvise, unlike @Reynard.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The Hairy Bikers have a lovely smoked mackerel pate recipe in their "12 Days of Christmas" book, and I make it regularly.

This Tesco recipe is pretty close to a Pate de Campagne, and it's not super spendy either - try it, you won't be disappointed. And the fact it uses sausage meat (good quality sausages are made from a mix of shoulder and belly) saves you a mountain of work.

Quick costing off the top of my head (full price ingredients, not YS):

Pigs liver - £1.34
Decent quality sausages / sausage meat - £3.75
Woodside farms bacon* - £1.45

I'd imagine most of the rest of the ingredients are things people have knocking around; bread, onions, basic seasonings, butter / oil and something boozy.

So all of that would probably put you back around £7 for a kilo block of pate. So pricewise, this is near enough on par with a mid-range pate that is £1.50 for a 200g packet, but it's far nicer.

* it's unsmoked back bacon but is actually closer to middle bacon. If you furkle in the box on the shelf, you should be able to find a pack with thin slices that's got enough fat on it that would be fine to line your tin. Otherwise, streaky bacon at £2.50 a pack.

Jotheboat

Butter NOT margarine, otherwise spot on. Have made it like this for 40 years.

IMHO of course! ^_^

pate.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
It's not far off one of the NCN routes. But I seem to remember being annoyed to find that they had no bike stands there. Obviously the demographic of Waitrose shoppers doesn't include cyclists :smile:

They have bike stands at my local Waitrose, in Cowbridge. Butv then the Vale of Glamorgan seems to be a very popular area with cyclists, and there are usually some stopped at the café across the car park.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's not far off one of the NCN routes. But I seem to remember being annoyed to find that they had no bike stands there. Obviously the demographic of Waitrose shoppers doesn't include cyclists :smile:

It doesn't. But there's railings outside so you could horrify everyone and chain your bike there!

Top Bottom