Honister pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite not being on my bike since last September and having lost my mojo, a bloke at work asked me to join him on a ride in May that will include the above. After googling it and seeing the video that comes up, and checking out the strava stats on it, as a (classed as) obese 47 year old I passed on it.
But my question is really, have any of us non elite, pleasure cyclists actually been able to ride up this! It makes my local hills that I puff and pant at look like speed humps!

I've signed up to the Fred Whitton challenge this year and it takes in Honister, amongst other silly steep climbs (Hardknott). So yes plenty of cyclists ride up there without walking but i would get as fit as you can before trying. It can only make things, slightly, easier for you............

Good luck.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
I've signed up to the Fred Whitton challenge this year and it takes in Honister, amongst other silly steep climbs (Hardknott). So yes plenty of cyclists ride up there without walking but i would get as fit as you can before trying. It can only make things, slightly, easier for you............

Good luck.
As I said I passed on the opportunity, but credit to people like yourself that do it!
Will have to check out hardknott know

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not done Honister but I rode the tougher Hardknott and Wrynose passes last summer, so it is doable by us mere mortals. (Link to my writeup - you might have to scroll down the page a bit to get to the relevant bit).
DSC01804.JPG
I'd recommend having gearing as low as possible (a 20" bottom gear in my case) and not carrying too much weight if you can help it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Hardknott Pass, oh the memories ! Two aims of mine during a Coast to Coast a couple of years ago, one was to ride Hardknott non-stop and the other to hit 60 down Kirkstone Pass. Hardknott achieved but bottled it down Kirkstone.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I don't find Honister as bad as some of the others. I find Wrynose going east to west is like cycling up a vertical wall!
That'll get fitness sorted soon enough:tongue:

Top Bottom