1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizon

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MarkF, 16 Sep 2007.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

When my insurance money for my stolen bikes comes in I was thinking of Specialized Globe or another Dawes Discovery. I do towpath and road riding mainly but do like to get out into the Dales for long (long for me that is) 50 miles rides.

I have noted Dawes Horizons on Ebay for £350 brand new, that is round about my budget. What's the verdict on Dawes Horizons?

Are they a very poor mans Galaxy?

2. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Looks ok, but stay away from ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Potentially they are poor man's galaxies but as a fellow Dawes owner, have you ever had any complaints with your Discovery? None here and I wouldn't think twice about buying another Dawes. If the Horizon is in your budget, I'd go for it.

4. Rezillo

Rezillo TwoSheds

I bought a 2006 model Discovery 601 a year ago from the very same Ebay seller. It arrived in two days and I've done 3,000 miles on it. It's a good time to pick up end of year models - the 601 was £369 at a time when many dealers were listing it at anything from £480 up to the full list price of £550.

I don't know about the Horizon and I wouldn't pretend to be any kind of expert but the 2006 601 at a similar price is a mixture of fairly good drive train components and a bit of a mixed bag for the rest of it. Having said that, I've been very happy with the bike , although it hasn't stopped me gazing wistfully at more expensive machines! A pleasure to ride, though - 60 miles last Wednesday (took the day off as the weather was so good) and 35 today.

John

5. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Thanks for the replies, I have not taken any notice of the Horizon before, it took the price of £350 new to make me sit up! Just thought it might suit my requirements while being comfier than a Discovery/Globe?

I have had a Dawes Discovery Cathryn, the base 201 and was very impressed at the way it stood up to the abuse I gave it, it's a great starter bike. The only issue I had was the size, I bought a 21" on the advice of the LBS when I really needed a 23", hardly Dawes fault.;)

Hhmm, think I'll have another look at the Discovery range