Horizon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
When my insurance money for my stolen bikes comes in I was thinking of Specialized Globe or another Dawes Discovery. I do towpath and road riding mainly but do like to get out into the Dales for long (long for me that is) 50 miles rides.

I have noted Dawes Horizons on Ebay for £350 brand new, that is round about my budget. What's the verdict on Dawes Horizons?

Are they a very poor mans Galaxy?

yenrod

Looks ok, but stay away from ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Potentially they are poor man's galaxies but as a fellow Dawes owner, have you ever had any complaints with your Discovery? None here and I wouldn't think twice about buying another Dawes. If the Horizon is in your budget, I'd go for it.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I bought a 2006 model Discovery 601 a year ago from the very same Ebay seller. It arrived in two days and I've done 3,000 miles on it. It's a good time to pick up end of year models - the 601 was £369 at a time when many dealers were listing it at anything from £480 up to the full list price of £550.

I don't know about the Horizon and I wouldn't pretend to be any kind of expert but the 2006 601 at a similar price is a mixture of fairly good drive train components and a bit of a mixed bag for the rest of it. Having said that, I've been very happy with the bike , although it hasn't stopped me gazing wistfully at more expensive machines! A pleasure to ride, though - 60 miles last Wednesday (took the day off as the weather was so good) and 35 today.

John

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Thanks for the replies, I have not taken any notice of the Horizon before, it took the price of £350 new to make me sit up! Just thought it might suit my requirements while being comfier than a Discovery/Globe?

I have had a Dawes Discovery Cathryn, the base 201 and was very impressed at the way it stood up to the abuse I gave it, it's a great starter bike. The only issue I had was the size, I bought a 21" on the advice of the LBS when I really needed a 23", hardly Dawes fault.;)

Hhmm, think I'll have another look at the Discovery range

Top Bottom