Horology. Any clock enthusiasts on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have recently been gifted an old clock, unfortunately it doesnt work but I rather like it. Just wondering if any body can shed any light on it. From the pics I can obviously gather it's made by Gilbert in USA. and I believe the date 1896 is when the pendulum used inside was patented but dont know much else about it. It has a number 23 stamped on the workings. As I say I like it and will most probably get it fixed, but wondering if anybody knows anymore, and the likely cost.
It does show the correct time twice a day though 😜

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Rather a nice mantel clock. The movement looks fairly straightforward and will probs just need a clean and service. I don’t repair clocks innards but have made a few carved cabinets for clocks. That box looks clean to me. A good spruce up with beeswax polish should do it.
My clock repair guy starts his service price at c £90 - £120 for a clean, but it can get spendy if parts have to be made.
Think US firms may have nice chimes, different from English and German movements.

Drago

Legendary Member
Gemstones, typically sapphire, are used as bearing surfaces. The 23 could well be referring to the number of jewels. Or I could be talking bollards.

Looks to be a fascinating piece.

If you go to mb.nawcc.org (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) there are discussions on there about Gilbert clocks and you may find more information Probably need to create a login

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is this thread a wind-up?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
No horologist here but this is my favourite clock. I have never not known it. It hung in the dining room of our house from before I was born.
My Dad would check it every morning by Radio 4 news.
It stopped years before I got it needing a repair.
I gave it to my wifes freinds husband to look at, even at mates rates he said that the cost of repair was all that the clock was worth.
It doesn't matter was my reply!
The tick I hear is the sound of my childhood.

Top Bottom