Horology. Any clock enthusiasts on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
No horologist here but this is my favourite clock. I have never not known it. It hung in the dining room of our house ....
The tick I hear is the sound of my childhood.

Very evocative story. Nice one. We have a grandfather clock at my mother’s house that has been around since 17 something. Nobody dare go near it and the once a week winding involves a kind of bomb-squad attention to detail for fear of it moving a gnat‘s from its moorings and going out of time. The world might stop if it does....I will only be inculcated into that ritual in full as my old dear breathes her last and passes me the key. The tick drowns out the telly. Dinners eaten alongside it are metronomically forked in at its tempo. It’s cogs sigh like the universe turning over in bed when it’s about to chime.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was going to take it up as a hobby, but then realised I didn’t have time.
I was going to say that!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Silly, but it made me chuckle... :smile:

355B7CDC-2ABD-428F-836D-4F0C78798247.jpeg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
No horologist here but this is my favourite clock. I have never not known it. It hung in the dining room of our house from before I was born.
My Dad would check it every morning by Radio 4 news.
It stopped years before I got it needing a repair.
I gave it to my wifes freinds husband to look at, even at mates rates he said that the cost of repair was all that the clock was worth.
It doesn't matter was my reply!
The tick I hear is the sound of my childhood.
View attachment 578474
That's lovely, I'm on the lookout for something similar for my kitchen. I presume F. Esser is no longer there?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If you like clocks then you should read the book Longitude by Dara Sobel.

It is about John Harrison, the clockmaker who solved the problem of finding longitude at sea by using a timepiece.

We have recently been gifted an old clock, unfortunately it doesnt work but I rather like it. Just wondering if any body can shed any light on it. From the pics I can obviously gather it's made by Gilbert in USA. and I believe the date 1896 is when the pendulum used inside was patented but dont know much else about it. It has a number 23 stamped on the workings. As I say I like it and will most probably get it fixed, but wondering if anybody knows anymore, and the likely cost.
It does show the correct time twice a day though 😜
From what I have found so far, on the NAWCC site, the 23 means it was made in 1923. As well as the key to wind it, there should be a tiny key which fits the small square just below the 12. This adjusts the pendulum length very slightly to regulate the clock. I agree with @Randomnerd that a simple service could cost up to £100 plus any parts needed

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
From what I have found so far, on the NAWCC site, the 23 means it was made in 1923. As well as the key to wind it, there should be a tiny key which fits the small square just below the 12. This adjusts the pendulum length very slightly to regulate the clock. I agree with @Randomnerd that a simple service could cost up to £100 plus any parts needed
The few American keys I’ve seen are double ended jobs, like old car starter handles. The ends have two sized holes for the separate mechanisms. Some continental clocks have the same arrangement. Yes, a missing key might have to be made or sought. Clocks can’t be repaired for their own worth often. It’s a matter of costing the sentiment rather.

Top Bottom