Horrific diseases that blight humanity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We are just guests on this planet, it is shaking us off like a bad case of fleas.
No, we're doing that to ourselves. Exhibit A: the number of deaths caused by road traffic "accidents" :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
U

User169

No mention there about Malaria which is one of the biggest killers worldwide but doesn't affect people much in the UK. This is a very serious problem, resistance to antibiotics is growing and nobody is developing new ones, I guess because of the huge cost involved.

I think there might be a case for some optimism re malaria: deaths have halved over the last fifteen or so years. I thought I read too that there might be some new vaccines/therapies in the pipeline. However, I can't easily find a reference for that right now.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think there might be a case for some optimism re malaria: deaths have halved over the last fifteen or so years. I thought I read too that there might be some new vaccines/therapies in the pipeline. However, I can't easily find a reference for that right now.
I read that report too. It's children under the age of five that are most at risk. Charities and health organisations send treated mosquito nets to African counties for free distribution but such is the level of corruption and selfish greed here most end up being sold.

vickster

Legendary Member
Several of the big vaccine companies are developing malaria vaccines. Can't recall who, most likely sanofi Pasteur and Gsk if you look at their development pipelines

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Isn't malaria supposed to be on the run? Reduced by a quarter in Africa and by half in the rest of the world: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30375202
A child still dies every minute in Africa from the disease (WHO) deaths have gone down but there is still a long way to go. Crucially drug development is underfunded. In 2012, the global total of international and domestic funding for malaria was US$ 2.5 billion – less than half of what is needed (WHO).

Top Bottom