Horror of Horrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Brooks have just launched a new saddle and its not leather! It's called the Cambrium and it is made from flexible rubber covered with cotton. Priced at £125. Will it ever achieve the cult status of the B17?

Cambrium-saddle-008.jpg

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I'm not too sure about this, I think it's going to be Brooks' version of the VW K70. Remember those? no you don't do you. I think VW sold about 3. Mind you, They got sensible and asked an Italian bloke by the name of Giugario to design them a new car, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm not too sure about this, I think it's going to be Brooks' version of the VW K70. Remember those? no you don't do you. I think VW sold about 3. Mind you, They got sensible and asked an Italian bloke by the name of Giugario to design them a new car, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Yes and no. The K70 was seminal in many ways.

The Passat (in the form of the Audi 80) was already in gestation when the K70 arrived, so Giugiaro was somehow already waiting in the wings.

Type-1 cars were clearly stuck in a rut and the Type-4 had been a commercial flop. Air-cooled rear-engined cars had become antiques by then and VW had nothing else.

NSU were brought on board (more to add substance to Auto-Union than to VW) and had a market-ready product. It made sense to slot it into the VW model range (even using its NSU name) as a stop-gap. Although the K70 was not a market success, it allowed the market to accept the notion of a front-engined, front-wheel drive VW.

So if you mean K70 in the sense of a vanguard into a new and flourishing era then yes... If you mean it as a stand-alone flop which provided no positive change, then no.

As to the saddle, some people would buy used chewing gum if it bore a famous logo. Sign me up now!!

sidevalve

Über Member
Brooks have made non leather saddles for years [not 100% if they still do though] . Must admit it seems a bit odd to try to enter a highly competitive market simply on a 'name'. I love my B17 not only because it 'fits' but also because it's a piece of cycling history. No plastic saddle will ever be that.

tyred

Legendary Member
Dunlop made rubber "Brooks" type saddles many years ago. I own two of them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Presumbly they are hoping it will stretch to fit riders' bottoms but not permanently, especially when wet?

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Brooks have made non leather saddles for years [not 100% if they still do though] . Must admit it seems a bit odd to try to enter a highly competitive market simply on a 'name'. I love my B17 not only because it 'fits' but also because it's a piece of cycling history. No plastic saddle will ever be that.

How about the Unicanitor? The first plastic saddle now revived by Cinelli and, dare I say it, a piece of cycling history.

Top Bottom