Horror Story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I borrowed the work's van last night to move a shed and this morning I picked up two of the guys from work who live in a village called Glenmavis. They told me about a horrible accident that happened to a guy they know in the village on Saturday.

Guy 'A' was in his garden cutting some slabs with a bolster and mallet when guy 'B' comes along and says 'I've got a Still-saw, it'll make light work of that' and goes off to get it. You know what's coming don't you?...

When he returns with the Still-saw and fires it up. The cutting disk, which is a thick metal disk with notches and teeth on the edge, came off of the saw, kicked off the ground and goes halfway through his head!

Guy 'A' runs about trying to get help and gets hold of a nurse who lives along the street but it's no use, the guy dies.

What a way to go :0( So just remember children, power tool are very dangerous and should be treated with great respect at all times.

domtyler

Über Member
Another urban fairy tale? :wacko:

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
"He was killed by a flying saw, sir."

Ha ha..that's a good one! ;0)

Not a fable, it happened on Saturday to men the guys at work know well.

One of the guys from work is my bosses son, he's a partner in the business now. About a year ago I was mounting a large electric motor to a printing machine and one of the bolts jacking it up was too long and need a bit hacked off the end. He said he had a little angle grinder and popped off to get it. The thing had no handle, no blade guard and he had no gloves so I just handed it back to him and said "Go for it mate, I'm not using that". I've seen what these things can do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These things are lethal -you need to check everything - I worked for a Utility Company and still saws were in constant use in the road gangs - full training, protective gear etc.

Even the little angle grinders are dangerous - hmm must make sure the blade is tight next time I use mine.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Some things I just wouldn't use. My next door neighbour is a builder. When I was cutting slabs last year he offered to lend me a Still saw. I turned him down, I'd rather take twice as long to do the job than mess around with dangerous tools I've never used.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I was a kid I remember seeing a chap on a building site cutting a paving slab with a big disc cutter. He was cutting so that the dust was being directed between his legs and away behind him.
Another chap then stands in front of the slab being cut and causes a distraction.
The cutting disc catches on the slab and throws the cutter forwards and upwards into the chap standing in front. It was messy.

Mr Pig said:
Some things I just wouldn't use. My next door neighbour is a builder. When I was cutting slabs last year he offered to lend me a Still saw. I turned him down, I'd rather take twice as long to do the job than mess around with dangerous tools I've never used.

You could have asked him to do it for you! :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i remember one in the paper where a guy was chopping a branch with a chainsaw and accidently dropped the saw out of the tree. his wife was kneeling under the tree digging with a trowel... you know where i'm going... yep, chopped her head off :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
fossyant said:
My mate works for the forestry commission - let's just say he never uses a chain saw without his kevlar trousers and protection !
I can't be bothered with all that kevlar stuff, so I don't use a chain saw. I'm old school and have a two person crosscut saw.:biggrin:

I remember watching a friend of my Dad's look for something to cut a small, short wooden batten. He saw a big circular saw and picked it up. With nowhere to rest the batten he knelt down and put it across his thigh and held it tight with his left hand. The moment the saw blade touched the batten and the batten moved it made the saw jump. The saw landed on his left thumb and his thumb bone jammed in the gaps in the teeth of the spinning blade. The shock made him pull his left hand away smartly thus stripping all the flesh off his thumb.:tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
I read this one once in the Readers Digest...
Canada...guy is cutting brush back on his farm with a petrol driven, heavy duty brush cutter...with a steel propeller type blade, for the tough stuff.
As he's working, the blade strikes a rock, and one of the blades snaps off, flys up and embeds itself in his armpit.
Bleeding very very profusely, he realises he's going to bleed to death before his colleague can get help.
He removed the blade and pushed his fingers into the open wound in his chest cavity / armpit and camped it as hard as he could
, :tongue: trying to stem the flow of blood.
When the ambulance came, they found him unconcious, with his hand still clamped half in, half out of his chest.
Reportedly, they had great difficulty in prying his hand out so they could treat him...still unconcious :ohmy:xx(xx(:tongue:

errr...think i'll get the wife to use the strimmer next time :tongue:

Top Bottom