'Horse Drawn Disc-Braked'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just been watching part of an episode of 'How The Victorians Built Britain', with John Snow

https://www.channel5.com/show/how-the-victorians-built-britain/

He was travelling in horse-drawn carriage (an open one), whilst being told about the overwhelming number of horses in the capitol, & the coming of the Omnibus

I had to stop/pause at one point, as I thought I saw, & yes!, I did see

Disc brakes!!

Sorry not the best of images
I wondered about the need for such items, but, if such a 'vehicle' is used in modern traffic, & especially in such a congested place, as that fetid hell-hole, brakes are required, in case Dobbin decides to gallop off to find the nearest grass?

I then wondered how they're applied?
A footpedal, or a lever??
(or both, with a method of holding it 'on')

I think the family of one of our Nurses, may have been involved in Carriage Driving (the XC/streams/through gates variety) so I'll ask her when I see her

EDIT;
Friday 15th @ 21:15

Michael Buerke, not John Snow

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well spotted. A truck has hydraullocks and a horse has high bol.....

Actually I'm beginning to think that although the Victorians did spectacular engineering none of it would have happened without the discoveries and insights of the preceding century so the 18th century was actually the more important in Britain's development. If you look at music I'd say that's definitely true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

It would be very unusual for a harness broken horse to bolt, not unknown but if they want to go they would & brakes would as likely not make a difference the carriage would get dragged along. What they are normally for is downhill taking the pressure off the horses so they don't have to do the braking & risking slipping on the tarmac.

It would be very unusual for a harness broken horse to bolt, not unknown but if they want to go they would & brakes would as likely not make a difference the carriage would get dragged along. What they are normally for is downhill taking the pressure off the horses so they don't have to do the braking & risking slipping on the tarmac.
Logical, & a reason I'd not considered
Thankyou

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Also it is possible that it is part of the Handbrake/parking brake system.

Another horsey-type staff member concurred, when I asked her this morning:okay:

Top Bottom