Horses and recumbent bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
andytheflyer
Throughout this topic I have been pleasantly surprised at the consideration being given to horse riders. I have owned horses most of my life and can tell you it isn't always so with other road users. If a young horse's first experience of a bike, be it a recumbent or otherwise is good then they usually won't be a problem in the future so your patience and consideration is very valuable to the horserider. I had a Connemara pony who was bombproof with any traffic but was terrified of bikes after a mountain biker coming down the Pennine Bridleway on Mount Famine hit a rock, he fell off and his bike came flying through the air to land at the pony's feet. Very unfortunate and it took a lot to reassure her whenever we saw any bikes after that. Sometimes though there just isn't a reason and as someone else has said sometimes it's the rider. A nervous rider is telling the horse there is something to worry about, then the horse decides the focus of the fear.
I am very disappointed at the response you had @byegad from the lady rider. I expect she was panicking but no excuse. We should all have tolerance and a care for the safety of others, it cuts both ways.

Well, as non-motorised road users, paid for from our tax payments, we all have to get along, so a little courtesy does no harm.

But I'd have to declare a greater interest in not wanting to share my laid-back GRP seat with half a tonne of frenzied horse, lashing out with steel-shod hooves. Even if only for a second or two. My family used to keep horses, so I have a fair understanding of what they weigh, the force implicit in a flying hoof, and just how stupid an apparently intelligent animal can be. If a simple banal conversation (yes, it's a 'funny' bike, coming past, I'll keep talking....) whilst creeping past can avoid an unfortunate incident, then so be it.

byegad

Legendary Member
@Lilmo
Sadly the young lady I mentioned above is not the only bad reaction I've had from horsey types. Some years ago a stables and riding school opened in the village. As usual when I encountered the owner for the first time I stopped and spoke, to let the horse know I'm human (Honest guv' I am!) only to get harsh words and a rather abrupt order to turn around and get out of her way.

A fairly lively conversation ensued in which free and frank views were exchanged. The clincher came when I told her I lived in the village and rode 3-5 times a week so we'd be meeting frequently, and IF her attitude didn't improve I'd abandon my policy of stopping for horses and just ride on each and every time we met, her choice. After that I've always had a cheery thank you for stopping when we meet and she even speaks to me if I'm on foot.

While I'd probably not carried out the threat, after all in a horse recumbent trike encounter the trike is always going to come out of it badly no matter the rights and wrongs, she was not to know this and saw the sense of co operation. She also breaks horses and I often meet her with a new horse on a lead (Probably not the correct horse term.) or on an early road acclimatisation ride and or friendly chatter usually does the trick in calming the horse. I like to think she is selling on horses somewhat used to we strange recumbenteers and one day horses across the county will not even blink when we hove into view.

As you say a bit of tolerance goes a long way.

Twinks

Über Member
Well, as non-motorised road users, paid for from our tax payments, we all have to get along, so a little courtesy does no harm.

But I'd have to declare a greater interest in not wanting to share my laid-back GRP seat with half a tonne of frenzied horse, lashing out with steel-shod hooves. Even if only for a second or two. My family used to keep horses, so I have a fair understanding of what they weigh, the force implicit in a flying hoof, and just how stupid an apparently intelligent animal can be. If a simple banal conversation (yes, it's a 'funny' bike, coming past, I'll keep talking....) whilst creeping past can avoid an unfortunate incident, then so be it.

Having been on the receiving end of a pair of hooves only last year, and thank God they weren't shod but did have the full half ton of muscle behind them, I can't but agree with you. I'm fully aware when out riding that keeping control of my horse is vital for the safety of others mostly, all I have to do is stay on her.

Tortoise

Just as an aside, I find that generally speaking, if the equestrian is female I get a civil and polite reaction; if male, the response is almost always negative to and sometimes beyond, the point of rudeness. I don't know why; the males just seem more often to display a sense of elitist entitlement or something. Or perhaps it's just me! :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Out riding last weekend I was reminded that horses seem to be at their most dangerous when they are in their boxes.

Twice I was subjected to passes from 4x4s towing horse boxes that would have been perfectly fine if it had just been the towing vehicle. But the driver had forgotten that with the box they are both longer and wider, with the result that the passes were un-fine.

paul fellows

horses view the world with there ears as well as there eyes, that is why talking works as well as it dose. the horse knows where you are, even if it can not see you past the lump on its back.
i think adding a pigeon whistle to your machine would allow the horse to be aware of your approach before you know it is there

Top Bottom