Horsham - Meonstoke Route advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A272 doesn't really float my boat, well not the Sussex bits anyway so does anyone have any suggestions for a better cycling alternative. Don't mind if it is a bit longer or less direct; if it takes in anything interesting so much the better. I would rather, Mouseketeers please note, that it did not go via Exeter or similar ;)

hubbike

If you are a mountain biker you could use a bit of the south downs way.

If you get and os 50:000 map you'll see that there are loads of smaller roads interconnecting to the north of the A272 which would probably be more scenic.
Maybe: Bucksgreen, loxwood, Plaistow, hazelmere, liphook, petersfield. Stop for lunch. Then through Buriton into QE country park (good quality gravel paths) over the hill through the woods. cross under the A3 then push your bike up Butser hill if you are feeling energetic then head to the bat and ball pub between Hambledon and clanfield and then Chidden, old whinchester hill (which is worth a gander) and then meonstoke. This is all pleasant rolling hampshire green hills!! have fun

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
hubbike said:
If you are a mountain biker you could use a bit of the south downs way.

If you get and os 50:000 map you'll see that there are loads of smaller roads interconnecting to the north of the A272 which would probably be more scenic.
Maybe: Bucksgreen, loxwood, Plaistow, hazelmere, liphook, petersfield. Stop for lunch. Then through Buriton into QE country park (good quality gravel paths) over the hill through the woods. cross under the A3 then push your bike up Butser hill if you are feeling energetic then head to the bat and ball pub between Hambledon and clanfield and then Chidden, old whinchester hill (which is worth a gander) and then meonstoke. This is all pleasant rolling hampshire green hills!! have fun

Ta but I'm planning on taking my touring bike, and need to be in Meonstoke for lunch. Don't get me wrong there are few things I like more than a boingy boingy ride on the SDW... though usually I go west to east.:smile:

hubbike

According to google maps:
If you follow the A272 it will be about 46miles.
If you go via Chiddingfold, Hazelmere and Liphook its about 48miles.
Not really much in it. So I'd take the scenic route. If you like to have lunch at 1 o'clock you'll need to get going at 8 o'clock so it won't be a problem either.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
went via billingshursdt, ifold, plaistow, haslemere, (flip it is lumpy round there) liphook, petersfield, east meon*, west meon. didn't need to get there until early evening as it turned out it was a dinner (and overnight stay) invitation not lunch.

All in all a nice ride weather nonewithstanding. Ride home on Sunday was different, went by car to Guildford to collect a new MTB and rode home from there down the downs link. Boredom thy name is downs link.

*my route card disintegrated just shy of East Meon, it rained the whole 3.5 hours of the ride. Got directions from the Vicar of East Meon who recommended using the A32, actually a tidy road with little traffic on it around 17:30 on a rainy saturday afternoon.

hubbike

GrumpyGreg said:
Got directions from the Vicar of East Meon who recommended using the A32, actually a tidy road with little traffic on it around 17:30 on a rainy saturday afternoon.
When I was a kid my mum wouldn't let me cycle on the A32 because it was a "dangerous road"!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^^^
she was probably right, it probably is, after all, all roads are dangerous to some degree :evil:

saw four cars at west meon and was overtaken by another half dozen between there and meonstoke, three rear lights on the bike and all gave me plenty of room in the drizzlely mistyness. happy days.

Top Bottom