Horsham/ Steyning area this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ladep Rewop

If going that way, and there is no doubt Edburton Rd is a delight, can I recommend a right turn off Saddlescombe Road onto Devils Dyke Road so you go past Dyke Golf course. Saddlescombe Road is a bit of race track for nobber-drivers.

Yes, I would second that, also some fine views both looking North and South from the Dyke road.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Thanks folks. Appreciated. Which of these routes gives me more villages and Downs, as opposed to sea?

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
But seriously...

Steyning - Wiston - Ashington - Spear Hill - Hookland Lane - Broomers Corner - Whitehall - Smithers Hill Ln - Dragons Green - Netherwood - Southwater - Southwater Street/Coltstaple Lane/Broadwater Lane - Copsale - Maplehurst - Park Lane - Burnthouse Lane - Stonehouse Lane - Littleworth Lane - Littleworth - Partridge Green - B2195 - Ashurst - B2195 - Steyning

About 29 of your English miles.
(but please leave the hi-viz at home)

I think that's the B2135 from Partridge Green?

MichaelO

Veteran
If going that way, and there is no doubt Edburton Rd is a delight, can I recommend a right turn off Saddlescombe Road onto Devils Dyke Road so you go past Dyke Golf course. Saddlescombe Road is a bit of race track for nobber-drivers.
Agreed. I did the L2B last year, and then headed along the coast to Shoreham (which is truly awful). Headed up to Upper Beeding & then along Edburton Rd & Shaves Wood Lane back up Bolney for lunch - it was delightful. Must do it again..

Lanzecki

Über Member
If you see :

528.jpg

Give him a friendly slap from me. Tell him "Simon asked me to." He will understand, he's my Brother. He may be riding a road bike around steyning/Ashhurst/Partridge Green since the lucky git lives in Upper Beeding.

Picture taken on the Bostal I think.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
We're just back from Sussex and the Downs. My wife had a good run in the Stinger, and I did the Edburton Rd/ Devil's Dyke route suggested by Ladep Rewop and adjusted by GrumpyGregry. The first half was a really nice ride, but the wind!!! Hell it was windy. I must have passed 50 or more cyclists on the Downs, and they were all riding the other way, with the wind behind them. There is a steady old climb up from Poynings/ Saddlescombe Rd/ Devil's Dyke, and with a gale in my face I spent rather a long time in my lowest gear. Unfortunately, the run along the coast is nothing to write home about, and I just couldn't find the start of the cycle path following the Adur river in Shoreham, so stuffed around in various industrial estates and housing estates, turning a 24 mile ride into a 28 mile one.

Still, that's 28 more miles this week, (102 for the week....).

Steyning is gorgeous, as are some of the surrounding villages. If I lived in that area I'd be like a mountain goat on my bike, because there are some pretty decent lumpy bits all over. I'd also break the habit of a lifetime and buy a mountain bike. Most of all, I'd be pestering Brighton, Hove, the one in the middle, and Shoreham Councils to sort out their cycle lanes, which really aren't special.

Thanks again for the tips.

Mike

Top Bottom