Hose draining time!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to have a home made one using left over pipe insulation and cable ties
I still use that on the couple of feet of bar pipe before it gets to the tap

Last year I saw a commercial thingy made from some thick pipe insulation in an L shape - plus another bit sticking up for the tap handle
plus a plastic covers to cover the tape opening and the handle - so you can just remove those bits and still use the tap easily.

The bloke opposite has one like a small square bucket that goes over the tap and is held on with an elastic band

not forzen yet - but then it hasn;t been super cold yet!

Fastpedaller

Plumber here...... You'd be amazed how many isolation valves (both for washing machines and outside taps) are sited so they are inaccessible - behind a washing machine is probably the worst choice ever because washing machines are VERY heavy to move. The insulation around the pipe or tap doesn't achieve a great deal apart from minimising wind chill - the tap will be very close to the ambient temperature even if you put it in a thermos flask it would get cold in 24 hours! After turning the isolator off, open the outside tap so that any water in the pipe or tap can't freeze and expand to split the pipe. You'd be amazed how many people keep the outside tap turned off (usually turned far too hard as well) for fear that it will leak, despite the isolator in the house being turned off :banghead:

Plumber here...... You'd be amazed how many isolation valves (both for washing machines and outside taps) are sited so they are inaccessible - behind a washing machine is probably the worst choice ever because washing machines are VERY heavy to move. The insulation around the pipe or tap doesn't achieve a great deal apart from minimising wind chill - the tap will be very close to the ambient temperature even if you put it in a thermos flask it would get cold in 24 hours! After turning the isolator off, open the outside tap so that any water in the pipe or tap can't freeze and expand to split the pipe. You'd be amazed how many people keep the outside tap turned off (usually turned far too hard as well) for fear that it will leak, despite the isolator in the house being turned off :banghead:

Top tips.

Here in the mild south (OK, so it was -12'c for a week 10 years ago, but we've moved on ... ) our outside tap has never frozen, but the water in our hoze frequently does!

I put away summery things in Oct but my outside tap now has a drip. Must fix before freeze.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had 'Phone Bill' on my to do list once. Whilst I was trying to work out who the hell Bill is I realised it was a reminder to pay it, not call him.
Ho ho!

I have a pal of that name. If I wanted to remind myself to call him my note would be "Phone Bill". In your example it would be "Phone bill" or even "Pay phone bill". Mind you, all such bills are now paid by direct debit or standing order so I don't have to remind myself anyway.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you have a similar setup... drain yours too?
I remove the hose and store it indoors.
I do have a cutoff indoors - but the person who put it in put it behind the washing machine - which is a right pain, especially if I need to use it to rinse off the bike after a muddy ride - so it normally stays on but with the insulation on the tap and pipe
My indoor cut off valve is hard to reach, I cover the tap and pipe with "insulating stuff" so they don't freeze.
@Fastpedaller my DIY insulation had worked for years, even when we had several weeks of big freeze last winter.
Maybe I have been lucky!

Fastpedaller

I remove the hose and store it indoors.

My indoor cut off valve is hard to reach, I cover the tap and pipe with "insulating stuff" so they don't freeze.
@Fastpedaller my DIY insulation had worked for years, even when we had several weeks of big freeze last winter.
Maybe I have been lucky!

You took the precaution of putting on insulation, which is a help against wind chill as I stated. There will be some heat conducted through the pipework from the house interior, and maybe through the brickwork - that will help and the insulation will help retain it. Wind chill is a HUGE factor, you only have to see the wether forecast, where that may state for example 'overnight 0 degrees C, feels like minus 4 degrees C with windchill"

Last edited:
Top Bottom