Hospital advice - you're a dangerous driver

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by middleagecyclist, 17 Jul 2012.

1. middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist Call me MAC

Triaging a person recently, I was informed how they could not see out of one eye which was swollen and watering. It had made them late and so they had to rush to work covering the said eye with one hand WHILE DRIVING AT EIGHTY DOWN THE MOTORWAY! I left the person in no doubt how foolish they had been and that they should never, ever repeat it. Pillock!

2. Maggot

Maggot Guest

MrsMaggot is an msk physio in out-patients. She had a patient who had almost no neck movement at all. She treated the lady, fitted a collar to immobilise her neck and made her an appointment for 3 days time.
    MrsMaggot then asked her if she wanted her to ring a member of her family or a taxi, a which point the lady said "Why? I'll drive home, it's how I got here" She then walked off to the car park and to the disbelief of everyone drove off into the traffic with an immobilised neck:ohmy:

middleagecyclist likes this.
  3. colly

colly Re member eR

I once worked with a bloke who had to take time off due to a broken leg. He turned up at work one day complete with crutch and full pot on his leg.
    You guessed it. He had driven in.............. and was using the crutch to operate the clutch. Don't ask me how he did it I don't know.
    This was a good few years ago and the roads weren't quite so frantic, but even so.:cursing:

middleagecyclist likes this.
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Were you working in Leeds at the time? Working there 11 years ago someone was driving in daily with his right leg in plaster for about a month. They managed to find someone else to drive him to & from work.

5. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

I drove myself to hospital before I found out I fractured my wrist (I knew I had dislocated my right middle finger but just thought my wrists was sprained) it was interesting to say the least!

I didnt drive home though (or for the next 6 weeks until my splints and cast where off.)

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

My colleague just rode round the Alps with a broken hand, and a further week when home - fortunately he wasn't driving when he went to hospital - came back in plaster though.

7. a friend of mine whilst in his car had somebody drive into them when he was stopped at a set of traffic lights. his passenger was hurt so he phone the police, much to the other drivers annoyance, as he tried to drive away; but, couldn't as his cars radiator was damaged.

When the police turned up the other driver had to admit he was registered blind; he had tunnel vision in 1 eye, could see a small area about the size of a 50 pence piece held at arms length and a lens defect in the other, which made his vision fractured - like the mock ups you see on TV of insect vision.

8. Melonfish

Melonfish Evil Genius in training.

although i agree that they were a pillock and they did indeed need a dressing down, can i ask why you thought to do it? and what would happen if he complained to the HPC?
    don't get me wrong i completely understand that he deserved a telling off, but (and i'm guessing here) if you're a triage nurse/doctor what right do you have to tell someone how stupid they are in a professional capacity?
    sorry to rain on the parade it just struck me as bloody stupid to say something like this on an internet searchable forum as a healthcare 'professional'
    thanks
    pete

Norm and LosingFocus like this.
  9. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

Christ alive - some people need to be put out of their misery, so the rest of us have a cat's chance in hell of not being killed by one of these thick reprobates.

10. Cheddar George

Cheddar George oober member

What would be the correct course of action for this situation ?

11. GetAGrip

GetAGrip A cycling abnormally

Back in my yoof, a friend who had to have surgery on a leg damaged due to an accident at work a few months earlier, asked for the plaster cast to be put on a bent leg. They agreed. The shape of the curve needed, was so he could still ride his motorbike! This he did daily for many weeks with then pregnant wife on pillion.

Fnaar likes this.
  12. Melonfish

Melonfish Evil Genius in training.

Ask the OP's manager they'll have policies in place for people who do illegal things. ideally a policeman should be telling this chap off.
    the OP's job is medical not legal.

Norm likes this.
  13. colly

colly Re member eR

Perhaps they were letting them know in their capacity as a person who doesn't want to be killed or maimed.

14. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

I would hope the majority of people would take the advice of health care people advising on what to do and not do without having the full weight of hospital management or the police along to reinforce the advice.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice